LegacyGT.com

Perrin turbo inlet install - should I trim it shorter?

I've been (cursedly) working through installing a Perrin stock-location turbo inlet tube the past few days. I finally got everything in place and lined up to find that the BPV fitting is blocked by some hard lines rising out of the engine block!

I pulled the inlet out and compared it to the stock tube to see the difference - the Perrin BPV fitting is almost exactly 1" closer to the front of the car than the stock BPV inlet fitting.

It appears that I should be able to trim 1/2" - 3/4" off the turbo-end of the inlet pipe and everything would line up better, but I figured I'd ask before making moves I can't reverse.

Has anyone had to trim their inlet to get it to fit? There's a change a larger compressor housing on my new turbo is partially to blame as well - moved up to the BNR 16G evo 3 turbo...

Pic of the stock vs. Perrin inlet together so you can see the difference in BPV location below.

Inlet2.thumb.jpg.e34ab350c20b3e68232497a935284ba7.jpg

I had to trim my COBB inlet as well. Be careful, measure twice and really eye the fitment, I almost cut too much at first attempt. Running BNR16G here also.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

I had to trim my COBB inlet as well. Be careful, measure twice and really eye the fitment, I almost cut too much at first attempt. Running BNR16G here also.

Ha! Sweet. Glad I'm not crazy thinking this...

Curious, do you remember roughly how much you had to trim?

Ha! Sweet. Glad I'm not crazy thinking this...

Curious, do you remember roughly how much you had to trim?

I don't recall the exact length to tell you the truth. Besides mine was COBB so it may be different from Perrin in length.

One thing I recall was to make sure to measure it with the intake on top, to make sure it's in the proper position for all connectors to clear. I believe that was the adjustment in cutting length I had to make.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Verdict: I trimmed about 1/4" - 3/8" off the end that connects to the turbo, and everything seemed to fit better, especially the BPV attachment point.

For those searching in the future, this was on a 2005 Legacy GT MT, with a Perrin PSP-INT-421BK inlet tube (2.4" turbo connector) and a BNR 16G Evo 3 turbo.