LegacyGT.com

Tire lost grip after car wash...

CombatCQB

I just got my car washed at Delta Sonic and opt for them to clean the wheels. I think the guy sprayed something to get the tires looking shiny and told me I was all set. When I started pulling into the street, the tail started to slide! I was driving very mildly since my gf was with me, but the car still oversteered by about 30 degrees. I'm sure that stuff he sprayed on the tires were the main cause, but I'm sure he wasn't spraying the treads. So the RE92s with little grip, became RE92s with no grip! It wore off of course, but I couldn't believe how vulnerable these RE92s were.

[quote name='Th3Franz']So did you promptly do an AWD burnout? :lol:[/quote] :twisted: :lol: When I need that brilliant shine, I use Meguiar's Gold Class Endurance High Gloss gel with the foam applicator. No overspray and no overapplication of product.

Combat, because they would wash a lot of cars there and do a lot of tyres, the spray would be all over the concreate. The spray is a silcone base that can disolve with water. The stuff is great but yes it can get all over yr tyres and can cause a loss of traction for the first few KM's. And Im sure that yr GF was less than impressed with yr driving style regardless if it was yr fault or not ........ Been there done that :) Adam.

Actually now that I think about this more, I think they did this to our Buick once. We had it in for service, and they wash it and everything too. After that, I got in and had to make a left turn. Traffic was a little heavy so, I had to give it a little more gas. And then the back end was starting to swing out on me. I was kind of half-drifting in a Buick, lol.

• 4 weeks later...
Glad you didn't wreck the car cause of some dude's excessive use of tire slime. A car wash place got a ton of goop onto my brake rotors, calipers and pads. After driving for a while, the brakes started to vibrate, and the ABS started to kick in everytime I applied the brakes. I could see on the rotors a bunch of blue haloes (hot spots) and smell burning armor all. I went home, sprayed down the wheels and brakes with degreaser and the problem went away.

Wow, I had a bit of fun with slick tires coming out of the car wash last weekend!! I don't know what Subaru improved since the AWD that was on my MY01 2.5RS, but the Legacy just hooked right up from "slideways" to straight away with no drama. I didn't even have to countersteer to get going the correct direction!

[quote name='GranTourer']Wow, I had a bit of fun with slick tires coming out of the car wash last weekend!! I don't know what Subaru improved since the AWD that was on my MY01 2.5RS, but the Legacy just hooked right up from "slideways" to straight away with no drama. I didn't even have to countersteer to get going the correct direction![/quote] You should never have to countersteer.... :?:

I countersteered once or twice with my Impreza. Once while making a left 90deg turn too fast in the rain (possibly some oil patches on the ground too). The Impreza started turning about it's own axis as the tires didn't grip and the rear swaybar set to 24mm wasn't helping either. A brief and small flick of the wheel right and then back to center and I was then back on track with regained traction and a slowed down pace for the rest of the ride.

[quote name='GranTourer']I countersteered once or twice with my Impreza. Once while making a left 90deg turn too fast in the rain (possibly some oil patches on the ground too). The Impreza started turning about it's own axis as the tires didn't grip and the rear swaybar set to 24mm wasn't helping either. A brief and small flick of the wheel right and then back to center and I was then back on track with regained traction and a slowed down pace for the rest of the ride.[/quote] Weird.

Archived