LegacyGT.com

Why not put springs on stock shocks, and wait for them to die?

Artizan

I know by now that lowering springs will kill stock shocks relatively quick, but here's me question, why not wait for stockers to die before replacing them with something like KONI? Obviously in pairs, front/back.

Many people are saying only get lowering springs with new shocks. But what do they do with stockers anyway, just let them sit and collect dust? I seriously doubt that stock shocks are worth almost any money used, so selling isn't really an option either.

Am I missing something?

To me it’s not worth spending 4 hours to do it again and to pay for another alignment. If your paying labor, the cost of installing lowering springs alone could have been applied towards the Koni. It is not worth it to try to get you money’s worth out of the stock struts. If you really want to get your money worth, just leave the stock suspension until it wears out before installing Koni and lowering springs.

It's not just that they kill the shocks, it's that the oe or oe replacement shocks arent valved to handle lowering spring rate or the decreased travel range they operate in. So the ride will be crap and the shocks will die faster. Better off just paying once and having the right combination of parts installed once.