LegacyGT.com

Differential Oil Change Schedule

2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i owner here. The maintenance manual says to "inspect" the differential oil every 30k miles. How often should this actually be changed!?

I know it's an easy job but I don't really have a good place to do it at the moment so waiting could save me some money (77K miles on it, about 8 years old.)

2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i owner here. The maintenance manual says to "inspect" the differential oil every 30k miles. How often should this actually be changed!?

I know it's an easy job but I don't really have a good place to do it at the moment so waiting could save me some money (77K miles on it, about 8 years old.)

It should be changed probably at 30k mile intervals. It pretty easy to do, just make sure you get the correct size tools and you make sure you have the right plug before draining it out. Many people have mistaken the CVT drain plug for the diff in the front.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I may be overzealous with it, but in my eyes it's cheap insurance. Brake fluid, clutch if applicable, and diff/gear box fluids get changed every 30k. It's cheap and easy to do yourself, costs ~$60 and 3 hours of your time to do it yourself if you're mechanically inclined.

Personally, I would probably change it now.

My '12 2.5i 6MT, I changed it at 20k miles when I did the rest of the driveline fluids. The fluid came out clean but it had metal shaving from break in. I did the fluid again at 60k miles, it came out looking clean. I do not think it is required to change it every 30k miles.

I did my '09 OB 2.5i auto at 125k miles, I had a heck of time getting the fill/drain plugs out. It was original, had the metal break shavings and a little dirty. My front differential fluid in that was much dirty (and original), you may want to change that if you have a CVT.

Its funny that the recommendation is to "inspect" the front and rear diff, and CVT oils.

With the time and effort needed to "inspect" (lift the car so its 100% level, remove the fill plug, and then, um.... inspect? inspect what? look through the tiny hole to see that the level is at or near the fill hole, and somehow try to see the color of the oil?)

At that point, you may as well just remove the top, then remove the bottom plug and drain and refill.

By lifting the car, making sure level, and removing the top plug, you are practically 60% done with the job already.