LegacyGT.com

Headunit Options

Has anybody had experience with Alpine's Halo 9 Headunit? I can't find a photo of it in a 6th gen Legacy, so I am not sure how it would look and if it would block the aircon vents, or just simply look weird.

7c2141b95e87b4d0b92655beb71c06e2.jpg

https://www.alpine-usa.com/product/alpine-halo9-radio-apple-carplay-android-auto-ilx-f309

Or what about this amazing looking but probably shit Chinese unit:

1502977226894_0.jpg

https://www.canavie.com/104-android-601-car-stereo-audio-head-unit-autoradio-headunit-for-subaru-outback-legacy-2015-2016-p862924.html

What are you guys using/recommending? My OEM one keeps crashing and I just want to have some bloody Android support!

Has anybody had experience with Alpine's Halo 9 Headunit? I can't find a photo of it in a 6th gen Legacy, so I am not sure how it would look and if it would block the aircon vents, or just simply look weird.

Yeah mate, weird IMHO :)

Or what about this amazing looking but probably shit Chinese unit:

That one looks heaps better

What are you guys using/recommending? My OEM one keeps crashing and I just want to have some bloody Android support!

I can't help ya, because I'm a boring stock standard type of person :lol: but maybe our Aussie mate xt-sub would have some suggestions because he's pretty smart.

I can't help ya, because I'm a boring stock standard type of person :lol: but maybe our Aussie mate xt-sub would have some suggestions because he's pretty smart.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I’m not that smart, otherwise I would have made a lot more money than I have. :icon_sad:

I can’t help Libertarian with the head unit suggestion. Apart from a slight modification to an earlier one on one of our previous Foz XTP I just leave them as they are.

I tried Android Auto on the factory installed unit in our current 2019 Outback 3.6R (which is a different head unit to the 2015 to 2017 units & also to the 2018 unit) & I still prefer the navigation of the stock unit in our 2019. But I seem to be in the minority, so maybe I didn’t persevere with Android Auto long enough.

Come to think of it, I found the unit in our 2016 Liberty 3.6R acceptable (not perfect, but acceptable). Even the one in our 2019 isn’t perfect, it has taken us miles out of our way more than once, but it does the job most of the time. However, if I could get some of what I call essential information displayed on the stock head unit that Torque Pro & ActiveOBD provides I would be very happy.

My 2c worth. As to the photos of the two units in the previous photos; to me the Alpine unit in the first photo looks out of place in that vehicle & looks like an add-on. Many, many years ago Alpine made very good in-car sound gear but I don’t know how good their gear is now.

The unit in the second photo looks more like it belongs in the vehicle, but I don’t know how easy or safe it would be to use in a vehicle while being driven along a highway for example.

I haven’t looked at the description or specs of either unit so I’ve no idea how they compare or if they have any obvious short comings.

Perhaps do a search on subaruoutback.org forums to see if someone over there has done a head unit replacement on a gen5 Outback (the gen5 Outback is the equivalent to the gen6 Liberty/Legacy). I would be surprised if someone hasn't.

Check Crutchfield.com for model numbers and see what's available locally if Crutchfield doesn't ship to your location.

I'm not willing to pay what it takes to get great sound and retain the backup camera...

Edited by gathermewool

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

If your looking for just navigation just use your phone.. You can use a Signal Processor unit to adapt to the stock stereo for Amp Upgrades.. I kept my stck stereo because I wanted to keep my Maintenance Information I like the reminders for oil changes and other items.. Plus the stock look keeps the Thieves away..

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

A couple of functions to watch out for with a replacement head unit that could be annoying if they don’t get it right.

(1). How good is music random play? There are a few different random play algorithms, & the ones used in the head units fitted to later Subarus from about 2009 onwards have probably been the worst I have experienced.

(2). Does the radio start playing as soon as ACC or ON is selected, & when the ignition is switched from ON to OFF? This happens with the 2018/19 models, & while there is a workaround, it would be a headache if there wasn’t. The unit in the 2016 Liberty I owned remembered what music input was being played last & would select that the next time, & when the ignition was switched OFF the music would stop. But the unit in the 2019 unit is designed so that a radio station is selected as soon as ACC or ON is selected, & also when the ignition is switched from ON to OFF.

I have an older JVC CarPlay headunit in both my car and my wife’s. Overall they have been great with little issues. I wanted to go with something other than Pioneer because of negative past experiences (their crappy AppRadio)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk