LegacyGT.com

What's on your mind at this instant? -- Volume 13

ammcinnis

You only would use a maul and or a wedge for larger pieces of wood, or troublesome pieces that have knots, etc. And even those, once you split them in half, you're bound to find it much easier and faster to switch to a splitting axe at that point. I've always wanted a nice axe. I have a few, but they're all big box shit, or hand me downs of unkown origin.

Its annoying when companies list jobs yet don't say what it is that you'll be doing. Vague job descriptions suck. It's even worse when they have a generic website that tells you nothing about who they are or what they do.

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

In my ski bum days, I washed garbage trucks on the weekends. $5/truck. Rain/snow/hot summer days. Job description was "this job sucks, you'll lose your sense of smell, weekends only, pays cash". Living in my car on peanut butter and ramen, cash was all I read. The description didn't lie. It was nearly a year after I quit that my sense of smell returned.

Acid is extremely good at cleaning garbage trucks. Before me, they repainted trucks every 5-10 years. During my tenure, trucks got painted every 6 months. Acid washing a truck took 5 minutes and pressure washing was 15-20 minutes. That public school education paid off...

have been looking for a job as an auto mechanic recently. I don't want to work on outbacks, so a subaru dealer is out. German dealers have been my target. But only ones belonging to a conglomerate that also owns a subaru dealership so I get the employee discount.

I figure I can work the express service for a few years and get all my certs, then ease into a simple life of changing oil until battery swaps are a thing. I hope I never see a hg swap tho... I don't think a dealer is going to be happy with a 3 year timeline.

I've been getting the usual insurance and financial planning companies inquiring, nothing in my normal lane yet though.

I always replied to everyone. I got a contract at a bank who didn't even blink when I named an exorbitant rate. Sometimes your lane takes a trip through the mud and cones up roses. I know most of the time, it's just muck tho

Acid is extremely good at cleaning garbage trucks. Before me, they repainted trucks every 5-10 years. During my tenure, trucks got painted every 6 months. Acid washing a truck took 5 minutes and pressure washing was 15-20 minutes. That public school education paid off...

In some areas at work they acid wash the floor.

453747.png

have been looking for a job as an auto mechanic recently. I don't want to work on outbacks, so a subaru dealer is out. German dealers have been my target. But only ones belonging to a conglomerate that also owns a subaru dealership so I get the employee discount.

I figure I can work the express service for a few years and get all my certs, then ease into a simple life of changing oil until battery swaps are a thing. I hope I never see a hg swap tho... I don't think a dealer is going to be happy with a 3 year timeline.

Well, ambition might lead you somewhere.

But I'd take a HG swap on a Volvo B18 over almost any other job for two reasons. They never fail and the worst part of it is draining the coolant.

453747.png

Looked at purchasing a 1 bdrm condo at the beach, it was small, updated. Right on the beach, price was not great. But still decent. Then I found out the vacation rental company on-site takes half the profit, I don't believe that included the HOA fees either :eek:

Hard pass on that one

Looked at purchasing a 1 bdrm condo at the beach, it was small, updated. Right on the beach, price was not great. But still decent. Then I found out the vacation rental company on-site takes half the profit, I don't believe that included the HOA fees either :eek:

Hard pass on that one

Had a similar experience with a 50% take on a condo I was looking at.

Hard pass, even with 50% down it wouldn't cash flow itself.

It's still on the market, go figure. :lol:

Hey dumb dumb vacation/resort rental company: people who have money to buy a vacation home can also usually do math.

^^^ we've looked at those deals before. "too good to be true" seems to be the overarching idea

After HOA, tax and insurance, plus their 50% take, you're probably keeping about 10-15% of each rental. That kind of ROI isn't enough to entice most people i would guess anyway.

Owning property and having a 3rd party manage it for me never seemed appealing or profitable to me. I suppose it can work if you're in an area that has a track record of increasing in value. That's probably where the actual profit lies. The rental costs just give you a little walking around money but mostly goes to cover expenses.

Brought to you by Pfizer

Owning property and having a 3rd party manage it for me never seemed appealing or profitable to me. I suppose it can work if you're in an area that has a track record of increasing in value. That's probably where the actual profit lies. The rental costs just give you a little walking around money but mostly goes to cover expenses.

The NW, especially the Seattle area's market has not slowed down since the great recession ended, not even during the Pandemic. So you'd most likely make a good profit when you chose to sell any investment properties you owned.

That being said it does come with financial risk, it's these property management companies that make out like bandits (sort of). They get to charge absurd fees while holding little to no risk at all because they are not owners, just managers. That being said you need to have at least 10 properties you manage to make a living and even then you're probable looking at making around 40k a year. So it's really not that lucrative unless you manage twice the number of properties.

That being said I'm basing that off data from 2019, I wonder what the numbers are going to look like for 2020 when they come in because the rental market was a bright spot during the Pandemic, everyone wanted an airbnb not a hotel. I expect those number to see a significant increase.

Prices are quite horrible when it comes to properties. Especially when there's a house on them, even something that's crappy.

The only ones that can win in the long run are the banks and brokers.

Here we have a tax on the profit of selling a property of 22% too...

453747.png

Yeah the real pay off is increased value over time, and enjoyment of the place yourself on vacations or other family gatherings. The rental revenues should at least offset operating costs, and if you can be cash positive then it’s a cherry on top.

The place we looked at and got 1 year worth of numbers on is still listed for just under $400K. We were prepared to put down $200K, and all said and done with 50% equity on average based on 2019 revenues of $54,000 in rental income after the property manager took 50% it would have cost $172.00/month on average out of pocket. Maybe less since I had projected a 2.75% 30 year fixed mortgage, and I could probably get a rate around 2.25% with that much down.

Either way tying up that much $$$ and not being cash positive on average or even cash neutral irritated me. Then my dad died, and the project got put on the back burner.

I know some people who have vacation rental properties who make money with them, but they have reliable and reasonably priced property managers. The most important part according to them is a reliable person/company to take care of turn overs: cleaning and house keeping between guests etc. Booking and billing these days is doable with various apps, which also make marketing easier. You can’t replace the in person on site necessities of house keeping, linens, and all the stuff that make paying guests happy.

Edited by Penguin

Smokey and the Bandit history.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvlMSZAPjMg]How BUFORD T. JUSTICE (Jackie Gleason) spoke in code to his assistant while on SMOKEY & THE BANDIT! - YouTube[/ame]

453747.png

The NW, especially the Seattle area's market has not slowed down since the great recession ended, not even during the Pandemic. So you'd most likely make a good profit when you chose to sell any investment properties you owned.

That being said it does come with financial risk, it's these property management companies that make out like bandits (sort of). They get to charge absurd fees while holding little to no risk at all because they are not owners, just managers. That being said you need to have at least 10 properties you manage to make a living and even then you're probable looking at making around 40k a year. So it's really not that lucrative unless you manage twice the number of properties.

That being said I'm basing that off data from 2019, I wonder what the numbers are going to look like for 2020 when they come in because the rental market was a bright spot during the Pandemic, everyone wanted an airbnb not a hotel. I expect those number to see a significant increase.

It comes down to relationships and networking.

Build relationships with mortgage brokers, real estate agents, etc. Having a "person" for everything is something everybody in that chain wants to have in their pocket.

You build that network, you all do well and grow quickly and consistently.