LegacyGT.com

What's on your mind at this instant? -- Volume 13

ammcinnis

My wife suckered me into to watching Away. Generally I try not to watch drama TV shows (aka prime time soaps) but this one seems good, a bit drama heavy, but good. I like the subject matter of the first trip to Mars too.

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

Tried it last night. Didn't hold my interest

I watched one more, it's a good show but you really need to like dramas a lot. I'll watch it with my wife as it's probably the least stupid show she watches.

:lol:

been reading that for a week. still can't see more than a couple of blocks

It's still fog-smoky here, it's supposed to start clearing out today.

So I watched the Social Dilemma on Netflix last night, another top 10 rated show about how big tech literally manipulates people for profit to the highest bidder and far more sinister things than that. If you do nothing else this weekend, watch this.

So I watched the Social Dilemma on Netflix last night, another top 10 rated show about how big tech literally manipulates people for profit to the highest bidder and far more sinister things than that. If you do nothing else this weekend, watch this.

I'm doing a talk with students based on the book "The Age of Surveillance Capitalism" that is talking about similar things.

The question for me is more "will we realize it and do something before it's too late..."

The tips they give at the very end when the credits are rolling are extremely valuable to parents. The last 27 minutes cannot be missed, this is not one of those things you watch halfway through, say 'ok I get it' then quit, the end is the most important part.

I sat in the windows 10 internal announcement meeting where we were introduced to windows 10 personalization, cortina, and tracking. The average attendant had a rather shocked look on their face about the invasiveness. However no one said a thing.

The demo showed realtime data as the user interacted with the os and apps. When they added cortana(sp) with full access to their accounts, it was like skynet came to life. The backend was making fairly accurate predictions based on user input.

I held off upgrading as long as possible because it creeped me out so badly. Still does.

I put this plainly to a friend the other day, these are my random thoughts on the subject.

-If big tech is going to whore out user's data for profit then each user should at the very least get a cut of the profit. We are a commodity that is being sold on the open market and we have nothing to show for it.

Kids in middle school or younger (don't care about their maturity level either) simply have no business owning a smart phone or having a social media account (of any kind). Suicide rates in teens have spiked exponentially since 2012 and this is linked to increase in social media use and kids' smart phone attachment rates.

No matter how much the little gremlins beg for water after midnight, don't give it to them.

• I Donated
I sat in the windows 10 internal announcement meeting where we were introduced to windows 10 personalization, cortina, and tracking. The average attendant had a rather shocked look on their face about the invasiveness. However no one said a thing.

The demo showed realtime data as the user interacted with the os and apps. When they added cortana(sp) with full access to their accounts, it was like skynet came to life. The backend was making fairly accurate predictions based on user input.

I held off upgrading as long as possible because it creeped me out so badly. Still does.

You work for MS?

I just disable all that shit on Win10. Cortana, MS accounts (I only use local accounts, and jump through the hoops to do that on newer builds), ad tracking, speech tracking, location history, etc. The only thing I leave on in the OOBE is location access.

Not that it does me much good when I just open Chrome and use that... [emoji38] Especially when I use it to navigate to Facebook... :spin:

I have actually set a timer on the Facebook app on my phone. Didn't like how much time I was spending on it, so it cuts me off at 90 minutes per day.

You work for MS?

I just disable all that shit on Win10. Cortana, MS accounts (I only use local accounts, and jump through the hoops to do that on newer builds), ad tracking, speech tracking, location history, etc. The only thing I leave on in the OOBE is location access.

Not that it does me much good when I just open Chrome and use that... [emoji38] Especially when I use it to navigate to Facebook... :spin:

I have actually set a timer on the Facebook app on my phone. Didn't like how much time I was spending on it, so it cuts me off at 90 minutes per day.

:wub: This is a fantastic idea, I need to set this up on my wife's phone, she keeps saying she is going to take a break from FB, perhaps I should help her with that:lol: