LegacyGT.com

What's on your mind at this instant? -- Volume 13

ammcinnis

• I Donated
Sounds like extortion...

Fixt.

Or...

Sounds like monopolistic behavior...

If two companies control 99% of the market, and have either colluded to charge similar amounts for developers to use their platform, or have just happened to have decided to charge almost identical amounts, that's anticompetitive. Note that Google and Apple can do whatever the eff they want with their own apps, but third parties have to pay them 30% any time they take payments for anything, and there's no way to get around it.

Fixt.

Or...

If two companies control 99% of the market, and have either colluded to charge similar amounts for developers to use their platform, or have just happened to have decided to charge almost identical amounts, that's anticompetitive. Note that Google and Apple can do whatever the eff they want with their own apps, but third parties have to pay them 30% any time they take payments for anything, and there's no way to get around it.

I remember the music industry getting caught fixing the price of CD's back in the 90's at $15, and a class action lawsuit followed. The industry got caught and lost. This kind of reminds me of that.

I believe in a free, competitive market because it benefits the consumer, when companies get caught with their collective hand in the proverbial cookie jar, they should get sued for screwing their customers.

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

The real question with this battle of corporations between Epic Games, Google and Apple is this:

As a platform, what is a fair percentage to charge customers to use said platform? That seems to be what this fight is really about. Right now they are being stupid and counter productive while all parties involved are losing potential sales. They need to bring in a mediator and reach a compromise.

I see a lot of this in my position, we call it strong arming. Where they have a plan and want to pin the other entities involved down.

My wife's balls are delicious.

• I Donated
I remember the music industry getting caught fixing the price of CD's back in the 90's at $15, and a class action lawsuit followed. The industry got caught and lost. This kind of reminds me of that.

I believe in a free, competitive market because it benefits the consumer, when companies get caught with their collective hand in the proverbial cookie jar, they should get sued for screwing their customers.

Honestly, the issue is that for most technical endeavors, startup costs are such that you can't easily get new competitors. In the days of Standard Oil, anyone could strike an oil well, pay the railroads to ship the oil, and make a profit. How are you going to develop a new smartphone OS at this point? Multiple established companies with expertise in the field have tried and failed. I'm sure it's theoretically possible... but you're not going to do it just by promising you'll only take 10% of the cut for paid apps.

We need new antitrust laws for the digital age.

A burnt valve isn't the end of the world, maybe you can find a buyer that's willing to take it on?

It's the end of that car's world for me. The ACV on these cars is crap, so I can't imagine why someone would want to take it on. Either way if someone wants a car with Covid, i'll entertain all offers.

Brought to you by Pfizer

Yellowstone sounds good. Netflix?

Man its badass. Totally worth paying for IMO.

If you're new to Yellowstone, then see what all the hype's about by buying season 1 and 2 on iTunes, Amazon, YouTube, Google Play, or Vudu. Unfortunately, Paramount Network no longer lets you stream older episodes on their website, so your options are limited if you're looking for a free option.

Even though Yellowstone isn't available for streaming on Netflix, Hulu, or AppleTV+, Paramount Network signed an exclusive deal with NBCUniversal's new streaming service, Peacock. Comcast Xfinity customers can now stream the show on NBC's brand-new streaming service, Peacock Premium, at no extra cost. Everyone else can stream the show on Peacock Premium for $4.99 a month starting July 15, 2020.

Dumb that you can't get it anywhere but there.

Very much so.

I didn't realize it was not free until now.

Haven't been binging at my house. I've watched all 3 seasons in the last month.

Costner (and the rest of the cast) are great.

Really? Looks dumb. I will eventually give it a shot.

It's very well done, well produced, great 80's theme rock soundtrack that really fits the show. Literally my whole family can't get enough, we meant to watch one episode and we ended up watching 5 more. It's just keeps getting better and better too. I think it's #2 on Netflix right now.

I love the good, bad guy wrinkles to some of the characters, Johnny is still a bad guy but he's helping bullied teens learn to defend themselves by teaching them the Cobra Kai 'way of the closed fist' style of Karate. The writing, and plot are superbly done and pay so much homage to the movies that the show seems like an organic extension of the movies.

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song