LegacyGT.com

2006 WRX STI HID retrofit to Legacy

jdkobe

^ Compare the two side-by-side, under *_all_* circumstances, and then you'll understand why a full retro is the only way to go if you truly want to see well.

Sure, park any two such comparable vehicles some 10 or even 20 ft. from a blank wall, and things will seem to be equal, but true extensive testing will quickly reveal the shortcomings of the plug-and-play "improper" bulb-ballast-ignitor kit. Greater glare, artifacts, less defined cut-off...all are problems that simply cannot be denied.

Even with a well-designed D2S adaptor ring, you're still not optimizing the halogen's optics. This is just simple physics, and its laws cannot be overcome.

The end result of plug-and-play kits with our stock halogen headlamps are "acceptable" from both an in-car viewpoint as well as from outside the vehicle - aka "oncoming traffic" or "following." However, it is *far* from optimal, and furthermore, inherent artifacts that are enhanced with the "more light" cast by the HIDs will contribute to even greater exacerbation of hot-spots and dark areas, which will translate to decreased visual acuity.

A true-optics retrofit, like VXCL cited, isn't a thousand(s)-of-dollars deal. Shop smart, and many can be had for just about as much money as it took to get even an "improper" bulb-ballast-ignitor plug-and-play "kit."

Retrofitting the genuine '06 STI set, though, would likely be a futile pursuit in terms of trying to obtain significantly better beam pattern and throw - as compared to a well-thought-through and well-executed true-optics retrofit; and will also probably be quite an expensive undertaking as well.

Going to say you're right but $1200 bucks on bulbs is waste of money.

(granted if you go with the STI ones).

Sure engineers made the projector with the HID bulb in mind, sure they spent R+D to make it the "best" it can be. All I'm say is side by side, the difference... To me anyways.... is not worth the money.

I'm not saying you can't do it... cheap.. or can't do it all... but you might as well wait for the '08 Legacy's that will have them standard than mess around with conversion.

my 2 cents.

^ The big misconception is that it'll cost 4-digits to do a "proper" retrofit of optics.

Outside of self-leveling or driver-adjustment features (which I find to be completely useless, as currently, such systems are way too "reactive," and thus are often much-delayed from actual road-conditions, leading to as much glare produced as they were hoping to prevent), a good set of optics, plus all that's needed for the complete retrofit can easily be sourced for between $300 and $500.

Comparing that against typical "improper" plug-and-play kit costs, at around $300 (oftentimes for inferior-quality aftermarket units that are not true-brand, despite brand-stickers proclaiming otherwise; this is typical of cloned products from the far-east), searching out such systems, in my view, *_is_* worth the money and the time.

Trying to source, at retail pricing, the OEM '06 STI setup, though, would indeed be totally cost-ineffective.

With our LGTs, the stock incandescent optics are so adept at handling even the "improper" HID-bulb conversions that it makes it very hard to make a case to go to the trouble - not necessarily the expense - of going for a true-optics retrofit.

However, to debate that the plug-and-plays are every bit as good as an optics-matched retrofit is simply to disregard all means of logical measurement of difference which can easily be seen and documented.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Well I could scrounge getting STI lamps for probably $300 bucks. Do I want to? Not really. I understand the design behind the lamps on the STI being "designed" for the HID bulb, it's stance in the house etc... I get it... it works... I know.

My point is, only the "hardcore" are going to take that route. It will give you a better light output, no doubt, but to Joe Shomoe, all he wants is the best alternative to ripping apart the headlamp housing and put in a HID projector lens.

TSI - I respect your opinion on this as I know the optics lens on the Euro-Spec B5 A4's are better (way better!) than the stock headlamps w/ the H7 conversion. I've been a car and seen the difference between the two A4's.

All I'm saying is unless there is an aftermarket vendor that sells us "cleared" turn signals and an HID specific projector lens, to me... it's not worth the hassle.

unless there is an aftermarket vendor that sells us "cleared" turn signals and an HID specific projector lens, to me... it's not worth the hassle and risk of damaging the headlights.

+1

This Space For Rent

PDX - I see ( no pun intended! :lol: )what you're saying, definitely, I can respect your viewpoint as well as understand where you're coming from.

Indeed, for the LGT, only the truly "hardcore" lighting enthusiast and/or those who might be "morally constrained" ;) would look towards the hasslesome full-optics retrofit.

For all intents and purposes, the plug-and-play, even without an H7/D2S adaptor, provides more than good enough illumination and decent-enough glare protection that for the vast majority of LGT owners, it is indeed more than good enough.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

PDX - I see ( no pun intended! :lol: )what you're saying, definitely, I can respect your viewpoint as well as understand where you're coming from.

Indeed, for the LGT, only the truly "hardcore" lighting enthusiast and/or those who might be "morally constrained" ;) would look towards the hasslesome full-optics retrofit.

For all intents and purposes, the plug-and-play, even without an H7/D2S adaptor, provides more than good enough illumination and decent-enough glare protection that for the vast majority of LGT owners, it is indeed more than good enough.

agreed,

but def worth ripping the headlamps apart and cost the same or less then most kits. any DIY out there should go the retro route. its a fun rewarding mod:) also replacement parts IF EVER needed are cheap and easy to come by.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/vxcl/legacy/xenon_guide/cutoff.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/vxcl/legacy/xenon_guide/finished.jpg

peace

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

I'm in for the retrofit. VXCL, could you perhaps point me in the right direction for all parts required. I'm ballparking around $300, or a bit more. I read your how to, and that's no problem at all. The only thing I don't quite understand is where you got that plate you modified for the mounting of the retro kit. I want to join the retro club!!! Oh btw, I take deliver of the vehicle tomorrow, so I'm hardcore against hallogens :)

2006 LGT LTD 5MT Brilliant Silver

Cobb AP w/ TDC S2 protune

Crucial DP

K&N Filter

Cusco F&R Sways

Tein H-Techs

Cobb F&R Endlinks

Kartboy SS

Xtec HID 5000K

I'm in for the retrofit. VXCL, could you perhaps point me in the right direction for all parts required. I'm ballparking around $300, or a bit more. I read your how to, and that's no problem at all. The only thing I don't quite understand is where you got that plate you modified for the mounting of the retro kit. I want to join the retro club!!! Oh btw, I take deliver of the vehicle tomorrow, so I'm hardcore against hallogens :)

the plate i used to make the mounts is the oem cutoff sheild form the oem projector. so you have that in your headlamp already :)

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

I guess I'm a dunce, or just too scared to order something I don't know anything about (retrofit parts). I wish there was A_SITE that sells what you're describing. Am I going nuts? All I see are kits "out there" on the inet. Kinda disheartening as I want to be retro cool :)

Crucial DP

K&N Filter

Cusco F&R Sways

Tein H-Techs

Cobb F&R Endlinks

Kartboy SS

Xtec HID 5000K

I would buy them TODAY if someone could just point me to a site or person to buy from, that's my biggest holdup

Crucial DP

K&N Filter

Cusco F&R Sways

Tein H-Techs

Cobb F&R Endlinks

Kartboy SS

Xtec HID 5000K

• 3 years later...
has anyone noticed that the new 2010 WRX SE has HID head lamps? could I just buy a pair of those and wire the guts (electronics) and lenses of them up to my 2006 Legacy GT 5EAT? has anyone investigated this? how much would this cost? cause if it is cheap and works the best, then I may go for it.

has anyone noticed that the new 2010 WRX SE has HID head lamps? could I just buy a pair of those and wire the guts (electronics) and lenses of them up to my 2006 Legacy GT 5EAT? has anyone investigated this? how much would this cost? cause if it is cheap and works the best, then I may go for it.

Probably, but as mentioned way earlier in this thread, purchasing new OEM HID housings is very cost prohibitive. Find a set of Non-AFS projectors out of a Lexus RX330 or HID projectors out of an Acura MDX. These will drop into your stock housings with very little effort. Then add ballasts and D2S bulbs of your choosing. You should be able to this for under $400 and you will have OEM quality.

Archived