LegacyGT.com

lowering questions

I didn't realize they were engineered and produced exclusively for the Australian market. King Springs website says it's compatible with the AUDM 4th gen Liberty, and the AUDM Outback. If the Outback is also 400lbs lighter over there than it is here in the states, then you would be correct - you probably won't get a little raise out of it. But originally, I was reading off of a site that used the same PN# and listed compatibility with all USDM Outback models ONLY:

https://get-primitive.com/springs/251-oe-height-overland-king-springs-2005-2009-outback-standard-height-rear-only.html

MILKRUN  - Click Here

I wonder how they would get an outback to be 400lbs lighter?? That’s pretty substantial, and from what I’ve seen, there isn’t exactly a lot of non essential weight randomly bolted to the car!

I’m having a bit of a hard time choosing a rear spring. I’m not fully agains the king rears but it looks like most the people running that setup use a 3/4” spacer in the front to level it out and I’d really rather it be the other way around which has me leaning on using the lgt wagon springs.

Edited by blackobxt

I didn't realize they were engineered and produced exclusively for the Australian market. King Springs website says it's compatible with the AUDM 4th gen Liberty, and the AUDM Outback. If the Outback is also 400lbs lighter over there than it is here in the states, then you would be correct - you probably won't get a little raise out of it. But originally, I was reading off of a site that used the same PN# and listed compatibility with all USDM Outback models ONLY:

https://get-primitive.com/springs/251-oe-height-overland-king-springs-2005-2009-outback-standard-height-rear-only.html

You are referring to: "Some models may see a small raise ~1/4-1/2", almost no lift"?

You know when else you may see a small raise? Any time you are replacing used OEM springs with new springs. Proof of this was installing my stock lgt wagon struts and springs on my son's OBXT. The front of his car sits lower than my OBXT. We could go back and forth all day discussing what the internet says VS what I experienced and it won't change either of our opinions. Bottom line-I installed new legacy KYB struts and top hats with KSRS29 springs and my rear measures 2.25" closer to the ground.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

Edited by norutah

• 3 weeks later...
Essentially, what you've done is lower the spring perch all around, but retained factory Outback height in the front (assuming you used Outback-specific springs in LGT struts up front), and raised the rear by a half in or so. If anything your car might be 1/4 to 1/2 lower from factory Outback height all around. Everything else you've done has given your springs a little more pre-load and allowed you more suspension travel and more potential to yield a near perfect alignment, which is great! After installing the RSB you should notice an improvement in handling if you haven't already. Your rear end will feel more connected to the rest of the car instead of like it's chasing you.

You're wheels (I like them) are only a half inch wider than stock, which are cars will easily tolerate, and your tires are stock dimensions. You said there "isn't any rubbing" as if there's a possibility, and there is absolutely none.

I am from TX and saw an OBXT or LGT maybe once every couple of months, so I understand the scarcity.

You made a wise decision to keep the car. They really are great, functional, and can be lots of fun. I think you'll find satisfaction with the drop.

It should be noted that one difference between LGT struts is the height of the spring perch. What I mean by this is the difference in height between the lower mounting point of the strut and the "cup" the spring seats in is significant. I'm sure you could find threads with actual measurements, but pics show about 1.5in difference. Unsure of if they were valved differently, not likely.

In addition to the strut difference, is a difference in springs as well. The Outback has longer springs than the LGT by about one coil, allowing for more travel. Based on pictures, another 1/2in to 1in. Unsure on factory spring rates.

$5-600 should be fine for what you want to do, but I would still recommend getting Whiteline's Camber Correction Kit (KCA399) and throwing it in your LGT UCAs while you have them out of the car. I'm almost sure your camber will be out of spec after you do this job. Help yourself out. Toe is what is going to eat your tires. Not much adjustment from factory with regards to toe. I can only recommend the KTA124 kit that Norutah has.

Well, I'm back to add some more to this. You said there was no chance of rubbing with a 225/55/17. My son wore out his summer tires and had to throw his stocks on. Front rubs on highway expansion joints and high speed dips. So now the front of our cars have the exact tire size and spring. The only differences are my wheels are .5 wider, my springs are new, and my struts are kyb (not Subaru kyb) and they are also new. I have a 1.5" wheel well gap and he has .5 so used legacy wagon springs do shit a great deal lower than new legacy wagon springs. I did end up installing the whiteline rear sway bar and ADF reinforcement brackets and it is night and day. I also installed the superpro diff bush inserts at the same time. The car is handling much better but my viscous coupler is shot. New parts in hand and motul 300 gear lube ready to go in.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

When I said there wasn't a chance of rubbing, I as referring to your car before I knew you put Legacy springs and struts up front. I had assumed you put Outback-specific springs up front, and mentioned that assumption before stating there's no possibility.

Running a big sidewall tire (like the stock tires) gets hard when lowering without doing any sort of fender work, especially if you did drop your fronts to legacy height. Now you need "Legacy-sized" tires.

What exactly are your son's wheel & tire dimensions?

1in difference between new and old springs? Did you install strut assemblies with 200K on them in your son's car. I didn't realize they sag so much. Geez.

MILKRUN  - Click Here