LegacyGT.com

Valve rattle

I have an ‘05 LGT wagon with the 2.5 turbo. All stock. I’ve owned the car for about 5 months now and it has 142,000 miles on the clock. I have noticed recently when I am manual shifting that if it is in a lower gear, up in the RPM range and not under load that I am getting valve rattle. I run 93 octane gas. So I know is not that. I’ve checked my oil and it’s all good. I was wondering if it could be doing it due to the timing belt being worn causing the timing to get off? I didn’t get any maintenance records with the car. The folks I bought the car from said they never changed it either.

I know these are interference engines and things go bad quick if something in the timing is out of whack. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure what you are hearing but if you are out of timing the valves wouldn't just rattle around, they would be bent by hitting the piston. You may be hearing a heatsheild or something loose rattling around.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

If the timing belt has never been changed, you should definitely get on that; however it won't cause the timing to be out of whack. What could be happening, is excessive valve lash causing a ticking noise. Adjusting this isn't a small job, but its a necessary one as the condition will cause excessive valvetrain wear. Can't say that's exactly the issue without hearing it, but it is a possibility.

My car desperately needs a valve adjustment and cold idle is pretty rough. It does tick a little. I'd do a valve adjustment but shops around here tell me it's a motor out job, so I haven't done one since the motor will need to come out soon enough anyways. I'm at 212K.