LegacyGT.com

Car starts by itself without key in ignition after battery reconnect? Help!

Hey everybody.

So my 2015 Legacy (Premium 2.5) battery died completely. I bought a new battery from Autozone. I disconnected the old battery. I put the new battery in place, connected the positive, and almost as soon as i put the negative the car started on its own!

The keys were in my pocket the whole time. It is not a push-to-start.

Got my local Subaru dealer maintenance desk person in the phone, he was clueless. He said disconnect the battery.

After completely disconnecting the battery, the car is still running. Dealer on the phone still clueless.

I call my mechanic buddy who lives a couple hours away. He starts to explain to me to disconnect the alternator in order to stop the car running. As I was about to start disconnecting the alternator the car finally stopped on its own. It ran with no key in it for at least 15 minutes.

I haven't yet reconnected the battery.

The dealership recommended having it towed in. I really don't want to have to pay for a tow.

Any ideas what is going on? Anyone ever experience or hear of this happening before?

thanks

Looks like you might be on a wire hunt to see what they did to remove the remote start might of crossed some wires

—————————————————

HPS intake, SSD Front Strut bar, Cusco Rear Strut Bar, Voxx 18” rims,

More to come...

maybe, but I have owned the car for almost 3 years now and never had any issues with it starting or not starting...

but disconnecting the battery and reconnecting a new one has now caused the car to start immediately with no other action by me or anyone.

is it possible there are some crazy computer issue? since the car went a with a 100% dead battery?

any thoughts on connecting the battery far far away from my chip key?

or removing an ignition fuse or something and putting it back after the battery is connected?

... the previous owner of the car had an aftermarket remote starter but removed it before trading it into the dealer i bought it from.

There is your answer.

... the car finally stopped on its own. It ran with no key in it for at least 15 minutes.
That suggests that the previous owner may not have removed all of the remote start system. Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

ok, I guess that would make sense... so when the battery is connected the car thinks it was triggered to start remotely? and I guess that remote start has an auto-shut off after 15 minutes

any idea what I might be looking for to remove and where it might be?

ok, I guess that would make sense... so when the battery is connected the car thinks it was triggered to start remotely? and I guess that remote start has an auto-shut off after 15 minutes

any idea what I might be looking for to remove and where it might be?

Have you tried re connecting the battery again?

Here is how you will find out if there’s still remote start in it

Re- connect your battery and if the car started go inside the car and WITHOUT putting your key in ignition just press on the brake pedal it should shut down the car,and that means remote start is still in the vehicle.

The dealership installed mine under the dash to the left of the pedals and then ran a wire up the a pillar to a antenna so maybe start there under the dash drivers side. If u find the unit u can prob look it up online reprogram it and buy a fob for it.

—————————————————

More to come...

found it! and the spare key the dealer told me they didn't have.

i removed the key from the remote start box (that the dealer told me was removed). I then took both keys 50ft away from the car, connected the battery, and the car did not start automatically. hooray!

car starts normally now with the key in the ignition.

thanks everybody! I'm sure I just saved a few hundred bucks by not getting the car towed to the dealership to pay them to figure out the problem.

I guess my first mistake was buying my Subaru from a Kia dealership :eek:

any reason to completely remove the remote start kit even though I already got the results I was looking for by just removing the spare key from the remote start box?

thanks again!

There’s no issue that I know of if u leave it in it’s not like your keys still in it. Side note look it up online u can prob use it a fob might be cheap.

—————————————————

More to come...

You can just unplug the box and everything should be fine. Im glad you found it, because it meant whoever had the aftermarket remote could show up, start your car to let them in, then remove the key from that box, restart the car and drive off with it.

• 1 year later...
Well, your car at least would be the dream of any robber. Now seriously, most probably the car starts itself because of the aftermarket remote starter or alarm do not work properly. Another variant would be that the car manufacturer, or the previous owner did not give you the remote control, to stop those when plugging in the battery. If you acquire them back, then you can easily turn off those options. Only after that you will be able to plug back the battery. I think this is the solution to your problem. Just take back the remote control and you will repair everything. Goodbye.