LegacyGT.com

Steering Shudder at low speed (2-10 mph)

Hi all,

Recently I have been having an issue with my 2010 3.6R Legacy where when I am turning at low speeds be it in parking lots or some neighborhood turns, I slow down and when I begin turning the wheel I can feel the wheel and it seems like also the steering column shaking. Not too heavily, but heavily enough to where it is annoying and slightly worrying. I was just curious if anybody had any ideas on what the issue is. I have about 150,000 miles on the vehicle if that helps at all as well.

Thanks

powersteering fluid could be low. Or you may need to just flush and replenish the rack itself. It may be air bubbles in the power steering system

The power steering fluid level is all good, but is there any other way I could check to see if I need to flush it? Also, wouldn't power steering mean that it issue would still occur when completely stopped and turning? I have no issues while car is not in motion.

Low power steering fluid or air bubble will give the steering wheel inconsistent steering.

Air getting into the PS pump is pretty common in the 4th Gen, I had to replace my OB o-ring on top of the PS pump. On cold days it would get air in the system and it would take 10-15 minutes to work itself out. It was a $1 fix and super easy to replace.

Low power steering fluid or air bubble will give the steering wheel inconsistent steering.

Air getting into the PS pump is pretty common in the 4th Gen, I had to replace my OB o-ring on top of the PS pump. On cold days it would get air in the system and it would take 10-15 minutes to work itself out. It was a $1 fix and super easy to replace.

But wouldn't power steering even cause the issue when the car was stopped and not just in these low speed situations? And mine doesn't seem to go away after 10-15 minutes unfortunately.

Has any mechanic work been done to your car recently? How did you check your PS fluid level?

Most recent work was an oil change but that was about a month ago and the issue started maybe a week or to ago, was hardly noticeable until it was.

Does it only happen when the car is sitting still and you turn the wheel or while the car is moving and you turn the wheel?

If it's while moving, I would say you have a bad center diff.

ohhhh yeah, forgot about that one. Hopefully it's just the ps rack :)

Does it only happen when the car is sitting still and you turn the wheel or while the car is moving and you turn the wheel?

If it's while moving, I would say you have a bad center diff.

Yeah it happens when moving at low speeds, like, 10 mph and below, but not while stopped.

Yeah it happens when moving at low speeds, like, 10 mph and below, but not while stopped.

Unfortunately sounds like a center diff to me. It's a fairly expensive part ~$400.

There's a good center diff post in the link below. It should give you an idea of what to look for, why it's happening, where to find the part and how to fix it.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/6mt-suspected-differential-problems-281834.html?t=281834&highlight=center+diff

Unfortunately sounds like a center diff to me. It's a fairly expensive part ~$400.

There's a good center diff post in the link below. It should give you an idea of what to look for, why it's happening, where to find the part and how to fix it.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/6mt-suspected-differential-problems-281834.html?t=281834&highlight=center+diff

Thanks I appreciate the help

The 5eat center diff is nothing like the 6mt one linked above. And I would bet it is much more than $400. It is also generally less problematic. I would look at other causes first, I might even take it into the dealer and pay for a diagnostic in this case.

The 5eat center diff is nothing like the 6mt one linked above. And I would bet it is much more than $400. It is also generally less problematic. I would look at other causes first, I might even take it into the dealer and pay for a diagnostic in this case.

Good catch! I was thinking it was a 6MT for some reason...

I do wonder what OP's definition of shudder is or how it's shuddering?

Mine would bang and slip rhythmically from the outer and inner wheels trying to spin at different speeds. I could actually hear the rubber of the wheels sliding on the dirt in a parking lot. I could feel it in the steering wheel a bit as well.

Good catch! I was thinking it was a 6MT for some reason...

I do wonder what OP's definition of shudder is or how it's shuddering?

Mine would bang and slip rhythmically from the outer and inner wheels trying to spin at different speeds. I could actually hear the rubber of the wheels sliding on the dirt in a parking lot. I could feel it in the steering wheel a bit as well.

By shudder I mean that I feel the steering wheel shake not like violently but enough to be concerning. Almost feels like I'm turning on gravel but I don't feel like there is any actual slip occurring.

By shudder I mean that I feel the steering wheel shake not like violently but enough to be concerning. Almost feels like I'm turning on gravel but I don't feel like there is any actual slip occurring.

Is it only the steering wheel shuddering (how fast, like machine gun fast) or can you actually hear the wheels slipping, like you were on a gravel drive? If you had someone else drive and you were outside the car would you notice anything?

Just curious because torque bind in the transmission could give the same type of sensation in the car that I think you're explaining. That would only be if you are experiencing something within the car and not just in the steering wheel itself.

Have you checked the condition of any of the fluids in the car to see if they are burnt or too low? Check power steering fluid for darkness. Also, check the transmission fluid for color, smell and level. It should not be black or too dark and shouldn't smell burnt. If you're not sure what it should be like check a newer vehicle to get a baseline of good clean fluids.

How old is the serpentine belt and/or the tensioner? Wondering if the belt could be slipping on the power steering pump pulley at low speeds, which could give that kind of result.
The belt would slip whether or not the car was moving though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk