LegacyGT.com

Engine needs a re-seal according to dealer???

the FB 2.5 motor has been in the Forester since 2010... and they suffer the same fate (leaking timing covers).

Yes it was here in the Forester before the legacy. A friend has one and had the oil consumption issues. I assumed the different final assembly continent for the car was may have something to do with the difference in quality control. However if the FB leaks in the Forester and the Legacy/Outback then I guess it’s just a flawed design like the EJ25 is for head gaskets. Oh well, maybe Subaru will figure out how to seal an engine with the next design.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except they had just bought it, so they had a warranty from the dealer...

Fixed before they purchased it, just pointing out this may be a common issue which increases the likelihood Subaru will help fix it.

When my car spun a bearing at 8 years and 89k miles, well outside warranty, Subaru kicked in $ towards the repair.

The cost is going to be a lot less if it is just valve covers and timing chain cover.

The dealer said they need to pull the engine out and re-seal almost everything. I wouldn't doubt it since things will probably only get worse if I were to only get it partly repaired.

Valve cover gasket, Cam plugs I can agree to it. Headgasket blown at 88,473 that is hard to believe unless you revving the crap out of that motor, dogging it or keeping the oil low or almost dried up.

I have a 2013 2.5i Prem Legacy and I have about 100k maybe more. with no leaking issue .

My mother drove this car for just under 83k miles, mainly highway. Then she gave it to me after I sold my old pickup truck and she got a new Infiniti. I pretty much only drive city to my High School & Post Office. I think driving pimarily city could have an effect. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong...

The dealer said they need to pull the engine out and re-seal almost everything. I wouldn't doubt it since things will probably only get worse if I were to only get it partly repaired.

It is not normal for every seal in an engine to go. You only need to pull the motor to do the head gaskets and rear main seal. I know the FB engine is different than my other Subaru's EJ, but my 3 Subaru have 121k, 127k, and 135K miles on them. The 135k 2009 needed head gaskets (common issue that was improved in 2010) and valve cover tube gaskets. The other 2 don't have any leaks.

To me it sounds like the dealer up selling that every seal needs to be replaced. If the motor doesn't need to be removed, your cost would likely be under $1000.

To me it sounds like the dealer up selling that every seal needs to be replaced. If the motor doesn't need to be removed, your cost would likely be under $1000.

Sure, but my mechanic said that wasn't a bad price to re-seal the whole engine again. I just do not feel like paying 1/3 of what my car is worth to fix an engine that Subaru hasn't perfected all these years later.

I agree with cww516 - some oil seeps go on for years without ever being a problem. My brother drives my old Toyota Celica that has has a main seal seep from when I bought it at ~140k miles. It's now above 250k miles and he parks on a cookie sheet to catch the occasional drip. He doesn't even have to add oil between changes.

Sure, but my mechanic said that wasn't a bad price to re-seal the whole engine again. I just do not feel like paying 1/3 of what my car is worth to fix an engine that Subaru hasn't perfected all these years later.

$2800 seems like the going rate to do that kind of work, I am very skeptical that a 2013 with less than 100k miles needs all that work.

I worked on a 2013 Legacy about 2 weeks ago with the same issues. B1 head, timing cover and the oil pan were all leaking. The timing cover was leaking the most. I believe it had around 120k on the odometer.

That's like 32k more miles than my car :eek:

Yep, good advice from many experienced members already.

Buy a few cans of spray degreaser and go to town.

Check back after a few miles and verify where the leaks are.

Old oil leaks can look like they come from everywhere lol.

It's cheaper than buying another car, and you will likely never have to do it again if done correctly.

You probably just need head gasket replacement including all gaskets up to that point.

That is if you care about the leak.

Can you top up the fluids and just keep driving it? I'd say yes as long as you don't have coolant contaminating your oil or lots of oil in your coolant and no oil filling your spark plug tubes.

I would just keep an eye on the fluid levels and drive it until you get to the timing refresh interval and do everything at once. If it still drives, drive it and clean it off/top it off every so often.

A few cans of brake clean will do wonders for your $2800 problem.

Can you top up the fluids and just keep driving it? I'd say yes as long as you don't have coolant contaminating your oil or lots of oil in your coolant and no oil filling your spark plug tubes.

I mean if I really wanted to I suppose I could, but this is my take on it. I was in a similiar situation with my old pickup truck, since it was having intermittent issues (like the tachometer not working below 1k rpms). I paid $3200 for that truck and dumped it for $5200, breaking even at the end (repairs, insurance, mods, etc.). I'd rather sell this car now and get as much as I can for it. Maybe someone will pay like ($8k or $9k) for it since that is what similiar ones to mine go for around me with more miles. My car is a one owner and taken care of vigorously. I've seen a few cars online that I'm going to look at, for around half as much as I could sell my Subaru for. I could probably get an Acura that pushes more power and better sound than my 2.5i for like $4k-$5k and give my mother the rest or something :spin:

I worked on a 2013 Legacy about 2 weeks ago with the same issues. B1 head, timing cover and the oil pan were all leaking. The timing cover was leaking the most. I believe it had around 120k on the odometer.

Subaru changed to MLS headgaskets on the 2010-2012 2.5i EJ253. Did Subaru still uses those on the FB25?

Edited by dgoodhue

I mean if I really wanted to I suppose I could, but this is my take on it. I was in a similiar situation with my old pickup truck, since it was having intermittent issues (like the tachometer not working below 1k rpms). I paid $3200 for that truck and dumped it for $5200, breaking even at the end (repairs, insurance, mods, etc.). I'd rather sell this car now and get as much as I can for it. Maybe someone will pay like ($8k or $9k) for it since that is what similiar ones to mine go for around me with more miles. My car is a one owner and taken care of vigorously. I've seen a few cars online that I'm going to look at, for around half as much as I could sell my Subaru for. I could probably get an Acura that pushes more power and better sound than my 2.5i for like $4k-$5k and give my mother the rest or something :spin:

Do yourself a favor and unload about 4 cans of brake cleaner on the leaks and top off your fluids too.

I guess it depends on your outlook.

I own a 2002 DODGE Ram 2500 Cummins...yes...it is a Dodge Ram, not just a Ram. I paid $12k for it 10 years ago with 175,000 miles on it. I have since replaced every steering part including the steering box, some more than once, the injectors, injector pump($$$), lift pump, painted the truck, Bilstien shocks, tires, brakes and likely more. I have done everything except the paint job myself. I probably have $19-$20k into this truck. I could get a good dollar (maybe $13-14k) for it still and have had the pleasure of learning about diesels along the way. Let's say I get my $12k back when I sell it with the now 225,000 miles on it....I paid $67/month for a pretty nice truck that while it has needed a few things along the way has been VERY reliable and fit my needs up to this point. Being the person I am most parts were replaced as preventative measures. I wouldn't hesitate to jump in this truck and drive it across the country, getting as good of mpg as my Legacy while having great towing/hauling capabilities.

Why the saga? Subarus are great cars. Fix the couple leaks that as others have stated are likely not what the stealership is telling you and drive it, payment free as long as you can. My $.0294c760631c94d8d2b088ac6bcce09598.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Subaru changed to MLS headgaskets on the 2010-2012 2.5i EJ253. Did Subaru still uses those on the FB25?

This is a MLS gasket as seen here:

10944AA080 is the PN and it fits 13-19 cars (legacy, outback) and Forrester 11-18 FB non turbo motors.

10944AA080.thumb.png.05939a2a0464b9933ef46dced5b0b487.png

While you're not in school (at least full time), you could always learn a new skill and pulled the motor to fix the oil leaks ;)

If the car is leaking on the ground and the oil burning off the exhaust manifolds, most buyers are going to notice and deduct the repair from the price of the car. If most of the oil leaks are from the timing cover area, you may be able to get away with just doing timing covers and related seal as necessary. I still would try to clean it up and to get a better sense of oil leak.

The oil pan is odd. Any evidence that Subaru replaced the FB25 shortblock under warranty? Perhaps a mechanic rushed the reassembly job?

This same question goes to Alexmed2002, was the engine replaced for oil consumption while your mother owned it?

The oil pan is odd. Any evidence that Subaru replaced the FB25 shortblock under warranty? Perhaps a mechanic rushed the reassembly job?

This same question goes to Alexmed2002, was the engine replaced for oil consumption while your mother owned it?

No it has not been. Everything in the car is stock, all original...

All the rtv looked factory and none of the bolts looked like they were touched. I like rtv to compliment a gasket but never be the main seal whenever possible.

I have the same model with some minor leaking and after researching it looks like the cam carriers are known to leak, bit Its wierd they say the head gasket leaks. Supposedly they worked out the head gasket on this engine so it doesn't go bad as easily as the ej engines. I'd definitely recommend locating a good independent shop. My car is currently at a dealer for an unrelated issue and they did give me a loaner which is cool but it's kind of been a nightmare experience. They tend to be more worried about their profits. Also do call soa they might help especially since your car is lower milage

I have the same model with some minor leaking and after researching it looks like the cam carriers are known to leak, bit Its wierd they say the head gasket leaks. Supposedly they worked out the head gasket on this engine so it doesn't go bad as easily as the ej engines. I'd definitely recommend locating a good independent shop. My car is currently at a dealer for an unrelated issue and they did give me a loaner which is cool but it's kind of been a nightmare experience. They tend to be more worried about their profits. Also do call soa they might help especially since your car is lower milage

I have someone coming over to look at my car tomorrow. Who knows, maybe they'll buy it for a good price :cool:

I wouldn't say the vehicle I looked at was a "leak" as much as I'd say it was seeping. There was no physical oil drip but it was wet with dirt accumulating. The cover was leaking on the opposite side so there was no chance of it being blow back.