LegacyGT.com

Bit of a pickle...need help

I'd stop driving the car and no more revving. Something is coming apart. Very hard to say what it is, but if you have a stethoscope (harbor freight has them) you can check around various parts of the motor to determine the source of the noise. The turbo doesn't sound very healthy.

Thanks for the response. I don’t drive the car anymore. It’s just been sitting besides the occasional starting it and moving parking spots. I haven’t even put 1 mile on it since I got the issue, thankfully I don’t have to be anywhere.

I'm all for DIY but at some point you gotta stop trying to fix this problem yourself and take it to someone who can diagnose the spendy stuff. If your turbo sucked up some pieces of catalyst then you're in for an expensive day.

Go for an OEM boot/axle when replacing the old one. Aftermarket ones tend to vibrate and not last very long. The boot fails because the hot downpipe is right next to the boot. You can wrap the exhaust with some heat wrap to help prolong the life of it.

Thanks for the response. I will do that once this whole thing calms down a bit. Luckily I don’t have to go anywhere. And I’ll make sure to go oem for the boot/axle.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, that second one really has the sound. But it does sound a bit light to me, I would think the knock would be a bit more heavier ?

THis would be a good thing for "m sprank" to hear. PM him.

May be time to start a new thread in the Engine rebuild forum.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yeah, that second one really has the sound. But it does sound a bit light to me, I would think the knock would be a bit more heavier ?

THis would be a good thing for "m sprank" to hear. PM him.

May be time to start a new thread in the Engine rebuild forum.

I will message him the links, thanks.

Mic can play tricks too. I assume it sounds as bad in person?

Thanks for the response, honestly I can't really tell if it sounds as bad. When I am in the car door open, doing small revs it does not sound that bad.

Not sure if y'all heard the pop in one of the videos? But save to assume it does not sound like a good motor anymore.

I've taken a video under the hood for someone before and between the fact that my RA block has been a little noisy since day one, and the racket the big injectors were making, it sounded way rougher than it does in person.

I've taken a video under the hood for someone before and between the fact that my RA block has been a little noisy since day one, and the racket the big injectors were making, it sounded way rougher than it does in person.

Thanks for the response..ah I see. But either way sounds like my motor is done?

I'm saying it's hard to judge by a video. It certainly sounds like it's knocking, but can't be sure from a recording.

Ah okay. So no matter what angle, it is hard to tell unless I take it to a mechanic.

Sorry, I meant in person. I think a few of us on here agree that it sounds like it too, on the recording.

Oh lol I knew that. I guess the only way to confirm is by taking it back to that shop but I have to figure out my towing situation.

Hi, all, lets continue this in one place.

Here would be a good place. His new thread. Sorry if I'am stepping on a MOD's job.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/engine-knocki-282588.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here