LegacyGT.com

New here - 3.6r recommendations

Hello all,

New member here (Ontario, Canada). Just paid off my car loan finally for my 2012 legacy 3.6r. So to reward myself I just ordered the takeda CAI and some nameless 5" axlebacks. Have wanted both for a while. Very excited to pop them on when they get here! They will be my first mods aside from HID and LED's. I've babied my car since buying it at 20,000 kms, she is up to 240,000kms (150,000miles) now.

Just wanted to ask all of you guys with higher milage 3.6's some preventative maintenance questions.

I use Mobil 1 every 6k (kms), changed ATF and coolant at 120,000kms. Plugs, belt and pulleys/tensioner all swapped out around 160,000kms. Always do brakes myself.

I want to make sure this girl keeps purring away, what do you guys recommend I look out for/replace to keep it running like a top?

Should I replace:

Alternator?

Fuel Pump?

Starter or starter contacts?

Coil packs?

PCV valve?

Change Diff fluids?

Fuel filter?

Water pump? (It's got a very miniscule amount of oil seepage around seal but still seams great)

Are the timing chain guides/tensioner pretty robust on the 3.6r?

There is probably a few things I forgot to mention, but thanks in advance, appreciate the forum and look forward to speaking with you guys.

Jon

can't comment on the 3.6r, specifically the timing and water pump sitch, but until the alternator, fuel pump/filter, starter and coil packs go, leave them as is. PCV valve would be a good idea, diff fluids, brake fluid, spark plugs if they haven't been. just basic maintenance stuff and replace stuff as it starts getting worn. may want to check under the car and see if your suspension bushings are ripping, torn ball joint/tie rod end boots, etc. from what i understand the 3.6 and 5eat are pretty robust and should run just fine for quite a while with basic maintenance, it's the rest of the stuff on the car that runs down with age, just like any other vehicle. Edited by creep_nu
speelng

first thing I would do is drive the car up on some ramps and check the oil to water cooler piping. on my 2010 3.6R it is all rusted away and I am going to have to replace it here when it warms up. Subaru in their infinite wisdom ran this pipe right along the front of the engine where it is exposed to salt and other stuff...

PCV replace it and the hose

if you have not done plugs, do them

change your PS fluid

change your differential fluid

drain and fill transmission again it was due at 60K miles

I would follow the factory maintenance intervals and change the driveline fluids. (The fuel filter assembly has a maintenance interval of 60k miles, so it is probably a good idea to change that.) Inspect the coils for corrison and expanding heat sinks when chaning the spark plugs.

Otherwise replace items as they wear.

BTW The starter if it grinds when its cold, it can be greased. (I have had to grease the starter on my 2009, 2011, & 2012 at little over 100k miles.)

Edited by dgoodhue

BTW The starter if it grinds when its cold, can be greased. (I have had to grease the starter on my 2009, 2011, & 2012 at little over 100k miles.)

That reminds me, I need to grease mine again. Those things need grease zerks.

Back on topic. It might need a new set of struts. Also, I would check for worn out bushings