LegacyGT.com

Engine Rebuild

Hey All. My engine has hit 210K miles. Currently, I'm certain that one of my head gaskets is leaking or something to that extent. I can see some sort of residue on the outside of one of the heads where the spark plug goes.

I'm thinking that I might as well rebuild the whole engine. I have a short block case from a 14 STI with rods and crankshaft. Should I just go with stock Pistons? I'm not looking to push power. It's a DD that sees about 40-50 miles a day. I'm looking at Possibly a nice tune with a VF52 and mostly mods for longevity. What else would you recommend?

Another ask would be; does anyone know a good local mechanic who can show me how to do this in the Nor-Cal area? I would want to be part of the process of the rebuild. And I am able to pay. If you have any suggestions or info please let me know or shoot me a PM.

- Cris

https://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/engine-rebuild-threads-engines-only-142.html

Read through there and check out the click here link in my sig.

Lot's of help on this Forum.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Hey All. My engine has hit 210K miles. Currently, I'm certain that one of my head gaskets is leaking or something to that extent. I can see some sort of residue on the outside of one of the heads where the spark plug goes.

I'm thinking that I might as well rebuild the whole engine. I have a short block case from a 14 STI with rods and crankshaft. Should I just go with stock Pistons? I'm not looking to push power. It's a DD that sees about 40-50 miles a day. I'm looking at Possibly a nice tune with a VF52 and mostly mods for longevity. What else would you recommend?

Another ask would be; does anyone know a good local mechanic who can show me how to do this in the Nor-Cal area? I would want to be part of the process of the rebuild. And I am able to pay. If you have any suggestions or info please let me know or shoot me a PM.

- Cris

I like your plan, and like you I am not going for tons of power. Use that STI block, get a new oil pickup, and follow Maxcap stuff. I did this and got a new VF52 from Subaru (hell of a deal). I sorted out a ton of other parts, and I am sending it off to a TURE SUBARU PERFORMANCE SHOP.

They build rally cars, and work on Subaru's all the time. From reading your post you said you have the money to pay, so get all the parts you need, then PLEASE find Subaru shop that know their stuff and take it there. Not local joe blow shop that your sisters cousin uses for his Tundra.

I take mine in April 20th with all my parts, I talked to them and know a round about cost with base tune. These cars are great and will last when done right. Please do not cut corners.