LegacyGT.com

Importing car/motorbike to Canada from UK?

Hoojammyflip

Looks as though we are moving to Halifax later this year...

Does anyone have any experience of taking a vehicle into Canada from the UK?

Specifically a 2004 JDM Legacy GT spec.B - loads of mods and a Kawasaki 2006 ZX14 - again loads of mods...

I know it is easier with vehicles over 15 years old - but how much hassle is it?

Thanks guys :spin:

I'm not sure there'd be any difference from importing from Japan. I'd check with jdm import companies here in Canada and see if they'd be willing to help you out.

Either that or contact a customs broker here. No direct experience with them but A.D. Rutherford or Livingston International I'm sure could help you.

Sort of random. I work for an Atlantic Canadian based Customs Broker here in Halifax....

You're going to have to self clear, as these would be considered "personal effects". It's a fairly simple process though.

The most important thing with bringing a vehicle in is checking with RIV Canada (Registrar of Imported Vehicles) to make sure your car is eligible for entry. Not sure if I should post a link, but if you google "Registrar of Imported Vehicles Canada" it'll take you to the right place.

• 3 months later...

Also be aware that if you are moving there may be special rules that allows you to bring over vehicles, but it depends on the country in question you are moving to as well as that you have to have owned the vehicle for a certain time to be eligible.

So whenever you ask the authorities it's important to check if there exist such rules.

Then you'd end up with the issue of having a RHD car in a country where LHD is the norm, and that could cause insurance issues.

453747.png

Also be aware that if you are moving there may be special rules that allows you to bring over vehicles, but it depends on the country in question you are moving to as well as that you have to have owned the vehicle for a certain time to be eligible.

So whenever you ask the authorities it's important to check if there exist such rules.

Then you'd end up with the issue of having a RHD car in a country where LHD is the norm, and that could cause insurance issues.

Intersting point on the insurance - not an issue in the UK as far as I know (running LHD in RHD environment)

But I have heard NS is high cost insurance anyway - anyone able to give me an idea of what you pay and an agent that could insure me in NS so I can maybe contact them and get an idea of whether there will be any issues?

Thanks - any help/advice appreciated