LegacyGT.com

Interior light questions

Hi, I'm new to this forum and this is my first set of questions. I have a 2020 Limited Legacy with 11.5 inch console screen. First, is there a glove compartment box light? When I open the box, it is dark. Also, the buttons on the steering wheel don't appear to light up, so they're difficult to locate in the dark. I tried adjusting the brightness wheel to the left of the dashboard, but that didn't do anything. And finally, the defrost buttons and the temperature control buttons on the sides of the console do not light up, so they too are hard to find in the dark. I have to do it by 'touch'.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. In the meantime, I'll trying finding the answer on this forum.

Rockier, thanks for your help. I have the display on and I can use the dimmer wheel to brighten and darken the console and dashboard so I’m pretty sure it’s set correctly. What doesn’t get lit up are the buttons on the steering wheel ... i.e., phone pick-up, cruise control buttons, etc., nor does the defrost buttons and heat control buttons on the side of the console light up. I’m in discussions with the dealer. I’ll post updates.

Rockier, thanks for your help. I have the display on and I can use the dimmer wheel to brighten and darken the console and dashboard so I’m pretty sure it’s set correctly. What doesn’t get lit up are the buttons on the steering wheel ... i.e., phone pick-up, cruise control buttons, etc., nor does the defrost buttons and heat control buttons on the side of the console light up. I’m in discussions with the dealer. I’ll post updates.

I would say you need service to look at it.

There may be a fuse or a connection problem.

I went to the dealer and it turns out it was my fault. I'm actually glad that it was, because it means my Legacy is working properly!

I had the display setting for the brightness dial to be set to on. I had it set that way so that I could lower the brightness of the console at night by using the dial. So at night, I had the brightness dial set to as little light as possible and that in turn, turned off the steering wheel button lights, the glove compartment light and the lights on the side of the console. (I thought that I had tried increasing the brightness at night by using the dial but apparently I didn't).

I've now turned the display setting for the brightness dial to be set to off. The console is supposed to dim at night automatically. It wasn't dimming enough for me so that's why I thought I would change the settings to use the dial. But now, if it is too bright, I'll lower it in the display settings instead of by using the dial. I'll use the dial only for the lights on the dashboard, steering wheel, etc.

Edited by milkatz