LegacyGT.com

trans drain plug totally diff from i've searched?!

had read many posts and watched many youtube before shopping all tools (T70 socket and so on) and this morning i finally squeezed myself underneath the car .

but then i looked and :eek:.. the pic was totally diff from i've seen here and youtube.. so which (red? blue?) arrow is the transmission drain plug?

i searched and found some said 6MT shares oil with the front differential. but there is two plugs..:confused:

thanks

ps: by the way, i'm planning to change all diff fluid as well. ppl said trans, front/rear diff use exact same fluid (i bought 6L of motul 300), true?

drain2.thumb.jpg.00c59ac9967bc306fa92c500d2f28197.jpg

Edited by markc0220k

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah it's actually not bad, that's what the FSM says to do too. I usually stick a piece of clear tubing on the end of a normal funnel, but a long skinny funnel might work too.

Edit: I forgot that I'm saying "it's not bad" as a non-turbo owner, it's pretty easy to get to the dipstick/fill hole on my car. On the turbos, it may be more obnoxious, there may be turbo goodies in the way..

1.thumb.jpg.1ee452e1297af32e535921c8c548b744.jpg

Edited by apexi

The front diff shares the same fluid as the trans, don't try putting specialty diff fluid like you have for the rear diff in there. Chances are someone just rounded the old plug and installed a new one. It's worth removing both and checking if they are magnetized ones and if so removing all accumulated material.

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

Yeah it's actually not bad, that's what the FSM says to do too. I usually stick a piece of clear tubing on the end of a normal funnel, but a long skinny funnel might work too.

thanks apexi, stupid me, your post just reminded me that i also have the vacation pic!! :icon_roll

The front diff shares the same fluid as the trans, don't try putting specialty diff fluid like you have for the rear diff in there.

really? i thought all trans/front and rear diff are all motul gear300 75w90 :eek:

Chances are someone just rounded the old plug and installed a new one. It's worth removing both and checking if they are magnetized ones and if so removing all accumulated material.

i finally removed both, the nut (clutch housing side) is 70Nm on the menu? i don't think so, i did soaked it with penetrating oil for a whole afternoon (8hrs?), then once more before. i ended up open it with a 3+fts breakerbar plus ton of fears!!

drain5a.thumb.jpg.b1e8777f5e0b68f4f9344915a8b90993.jpg

drain5b.thumb.jpg.a8920d7fa2f963aa78597093d9786cf5.jpg

drain5c.thumb.jpg.e22570d01979d431bfed6b6f95538724.jpg

Edited by markc0220k

This has been fun to follow. Couldn't help on the plugs though.

The front diff is actually located inside the manual transmission so they all use 75w-90 gear oil including the rear. No worries there, there just isn't a separate fill for the front diff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The front diff is actually located inside the manual transmission so they all use 75w-90 gear oil including the rear. No worries there, there just isn't a separate fill for the front diff.

ok, so what does he mean here " don't try putting specialty diff fluid like you have for the rear diff in there ... " ? :confused:

Edited by markc0220k

basically you replace the front diff and tranny oil at the same time, which means they use the same oil, the front dif and tranny are all part of the same oiling system. Changing the tranny oil = changing the front dif and tranny oil. rear diff may or may not use different gear oil, i'm not sure, but its a seperate system.

So they use 75w-90. Both of them.

The comment has to do with slip modifiers. You'll be fine with what you have. I used redline 75w-90ns for the transmission and redline 75w-90 for the rear diff.

The redline ns does not contain friction modifiers which is good for the synchros in the transmission where you want those in your lsd. HOWEVER we are really splitting hairs. You could use cheap wally world stop tech (which apparently is surprisingly good) and be fine. For 99% of people anything will be fine. I mainly went with redline for reported superior performance in sub freezing cold starts as I was noticing some hang ups there.

Also I believe the front diff on the auto is separate from the trans and in that case you'd use the same gear oil for both diffs and atf for the trans.