LegacyGT.com

2006 OBXT 5M MPG has PLUMMETED!

Hello all. I had my transmission repaired (a bolt came loose and put a hole in the trans case, gear oil all over the ground) and reinstalled a few months ago, before the repair, and it sat for about 8 months except for a weekly 2+ mile drive around the area. I was getting 340-350 miles out of a FULL tank and the range display was blank at that point. Now, out of the same FULL tank, the display says 340 miles to empty which is its normal but now I'm getting maybe 270-280 miles. Yesterday I put 4.18 gallons in a VERY low tank and the range display immediately said 90 miles to empty, 4 miles later it said 70 miles and now, 9 miles later, it says 50 miles and the gauge went from slightly above a quarter tank to a bit below a quarter tank. There's no visible fluid or residue on the ground that I've seen, no gas smell around the car, so I can't imagine, on 3 hits of acid even, WTF is going on! At the moment, the car only has 100, 035 miles on the odometer so I'm thinking about putting in a new fuel filter, strainer and, possibly, fuel pump. I'm trying like hell to avoid taking it to a stealership, cuz, STEALership. Any all comments, thoughts, suggestions, advice, prayers seances are welcome and needed!

Thanks in advance

What location are you in? You might have the typical, recent repair hyper awareness issue. In utah, the winter fuel mix means mpg plummets in the winter months even in my old civic.

I am finding my distance to empty is a little off. It was reading zero on me the other day and I put in two gallons to make it until costco opened the next day and it still said empty. I'm doing about 300-310 miles and putting in 15 or so gallons getting around 19-20 mpg.

Only things I can think are if they put in a transmission with the wrong final drive (was it rebuilt or swapped?) or if they did not put back your under shield which helps with aerodynamics and cooling. You'd see a noticeable difference with the wrong final drive.

I notice you are really seeing an issue with your gauge. What are you actually getting mpg wise? Are your rpms the same at highway cruising speeds? That would also change with the wrong final drive. Might just be a sensor error though.

• 2 weeks later...
Update. A few days ago I went to a junk yard to get a 04 outback fuel pump which, according to a local stealership is the same pump for outbacks build from 10/04 to after 06 thinking I could make the swap to see if my fuel pump was bad. All the pumps were oval vs round so I just left in the cars. The next day bought a bottle on BG products 44K fuel additive, $23.27, and filled up with Shell V Power, $46, and the range estimate was 280 miles. WTF is going?! After about 15 miles of driving, the range estimate went UP to 290 miles! Huh? 30ish miles later, the range estimate went up to 300 miles which is where it had been. As of now, 80ish miles on the trip tick and 230 miles estimated range means 320+ miles vs the usual 340+ miles is a big improvement. I'm gonna blame it on the 44K which seems to have "cleaned" a "sticking" fuel level sending unit. If that's the case after 45+ miles, then I'm a believer & endorser of that product cuz the gas is a known quantity. I think I'm gonna repeat this process again on the next tank cuz 44K is supposed to clean away the carbon deposits in the fuel system and I've seen positive results so far so let's see where the ceiling is for $25-$30 more. Stay tuned.

Remember model year is different than build year. Any outback built in October 04 would be model year 05 and have the third Gen body style.

Yea the range estimate gets calculated off you current estimated mpg and also is very conservative. I drove another 20 miles the other day with it showing zero. That's why I calculate my actual mpg every fill up so I really know what's happening.

Glad it seems to be working for you though. Nothing wrong with a good fuel system clean out every now and then!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk