LegacyGT.com

Head Gasket Leaking - Worth the repair?

Hi everyone - no luck finding an existing thread, so apologies up front if this has been answered elsewhere.

The dealer Service center recently identified my 2009 Legacy 2.5i (base model) has leaking headgaskets. I can see there is leakage, and after long drives (3 hrs) I smell what I'd guess is hot fluids from under the hood. Engine temp gauge is NOT hot though, still neutral.

I just hit 100k. Dealer recommends doing the 105k timing belt maintenance and head gasket repairs together at an estimated $3,500-$4,000.

So in summary, I have a 2009 Legacy with 100k, trade-in value approx $2k, and looking at minimum $4,000 in repairs right now.

My question is: Based on the community's knowledge of this vehicle, is it worth doing these repairs, or will I likely see more expensive maintenance in the near future such that it may be worth trading it in for an upgrade? I drive ~15k/year.

Thanks!

Not if you've taken care of it. Head gaskets timing belt water pump. Have them replace coolant hoses to and from the radiator as well and engine mounts since they'll pull the engine to do the head gaskets.

Depends on if you need the awd. In utah that car would be worth about 5k. I ski and like subies so ya. I'd say it's worth it.

The biggest problems are head gaskets. Get them to use the turbo steel head gaskets and new head studs. From there it's normal high mileage stuff. Bushings. Worn suspension and bearings. Radiator losing effectiveness or cracking at the fill neck. But you're not gonna get another car for $4k that's more reliable I imagine unless you're looking for excuses to upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is this an automatic or manual transmission legacy? If it's a MT and the clutch has never been done before, it's likely that will need to be done soon, as it doesn't seem super common for the throw out bearings to last more than 100k.

I have 237k on my legacy, and it has been a great car for me. Looking back at when I had 100k, I thought about getting rid of it too, but I'm glad I kept it.

To answer your question... It depends on how bad the leak is, whether or not I'd replace the head gasket(s). I wonder if the smell after long drives is hot cv axle grease that has flung out onto the heat shield below. (https://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=144911&d=1363232416)

Another concern of mine is the brake lines in the back of the car. If yours are heavily rusted, that seems to be a costly repair, unless you do the work yourself.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/dealership-denied-rusted-brake-line-repair-recall-smoking-guni-269642.html

Hi everyone - no luck finding an existing thread, so apologies up front if this has been answered elsewhere.

The dealer Service center recently identified my 2009 Legacy 2.5i (base model) has leaking headgaskets. I can see there is leakage, and after long drives (3 hrs) I smell what I'd guess is hot fluids from under the hood. Engine temp gauge is NOT hot though, still neutral.

I just hit 100k. Dealer recommends doing the 105k timing belt maintenance and head gasket repairs together at an estimated $3,500-$4,000.

So in summary, I have a 2009 Legacy with 100k, trade-in value approx $2k, and looking at minimum $4,000 in repairs right now.

My question is: Based on the community's knowledge of this vehicle, is it worth doing these repairs, or will I likely see more expensive maintenance in the near future such that it may be worth trading it in for an upgrade? I drive ~15k/year.

Thanks!

I had an 08 2.5i base and the gaskets went at 130K, But I knew it was a matter of time since I am into the legacys. If you OEM replacement they are now the new MLS Steel gasket. I know this cause I pulled my motor and redid mine.

I would find a subie shop and check their price. for 3500-4000 you could get motor dropped in. At the shop I am going to that price would be 2000 to do the job, and Done right! No corners cut.

Yea local area varies prices a lot as we all know. $3k sounds about right for utah. About $100 an hour with something like 25h labor for engine pull. Gaskets. Send out heads and block to be decked ($500 seems normal) and new engine bolts for $100.

I still think it's worth it though.

$4k? You could put in a re manufactured engine for that much

Well considering most places remove the engine for head gaskets, which is the proper way, the only difference between a short block replacement and head gaskets is cost of parts. If you did a full long block it's actually less labor.

That's why many subaru owners try to move to steel gaskets and arp head studs. Because the few extra hundred means they'll likely never need to do this again.

It pretty much is an inevitable repair on any 2005-2009 Legacy or Outback 2.5i. If it was my car I would do it (My Outback was done at 111k 2 years ago), but I would also do the mechanic work myself. I looked up the book value on your car on NADA and it is 5500 retail, 3000 trade in. If your car is in good shape and you planned on keeping the car longer, you may want to do it.

I would do it but would look around for a second quote. if the car has no rust/little rust you can get some more years out of it.

Pity the dealer since they will be taking all timing belt components off anyway to do the head gaskets. I wonder if you can negotiate with them on that fact.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K