LegacyGT.com

Motor Trend "first driven" the Legacy GT!

Was that a Motor Trend article or a steaming pile of feces? 4 pages of restating the sales brochure, and 2 sentences of driving impressions. No instrumented tests, no quantitative anything. What a great "first drive". Sounds like they drove the car around the block and spent the rest of the time reading the Subaru PR material. Next please. -Nick

In the September Car & Driver there is an article about the Volvo V50 T5 AWD titled "Volvo Raises the Bar for Sporting Wagons". $30K base price, 2.5 liter, 218 hp/ 236 torque, 3552 lbs. One of the Highs: a manual is on the way. They compare it to the Audi A4 Avant 3.0 Quattro, the BMW 325xi wagon and the Saab 9-2x Aero. I think the GT will have them beat in all the catagories they mention. Where's the love for the GT wagon!? Chris S.

The V50 is crazy small- well its based on a small car platform. Its on the same platform as the Mazda 3 and the new Focus. I am kind of suprised that Subaru hasnt thrown them a GT just yet. Maybe they are giving some time between the Outback and regular Legacy sedans. Maybe they will test the Legacy GT right before winter :evil: I still remember my first memory of a Legacy- reading it in car and driver. The article started out "Sometimes the best way to write an article about a car is to be locked in a room and have the name of the car slid under the door." :lol:

[quote name='crapy']well, even the JDM GT wagon can smoke the Audi RS6, it's nearly impossible for V50 to be a better wagon than the RS6 and the GT wagon. the options for the volvos are very expensive tho[/quote] I think you're a little confused. The RS6 is an 80k audi sedan that runs 60 in about 4.5 and quarters in the 12s. there's no stock volvo that competes with that (or legacy)

[quote name='Austin2.5i']Sound to me like they weren't really ALLOWED to really drive it. They said it was a "limited" test drive. Sucks for them.[/quote] If that's what they are trying to say, it's BS. I've had 3 separate solo test drives of the car myself. All you have to do is go to a dealership and you can drive it for as long as you want... -Nick

We all should e-mail Car and Driver, Motor Trend, AutoWeek, etc., and ask them why they are not reviewing this car? I'm going to tell them I have been in the market for a new sports sedan and driven all them major contenders like G35, BMW, Audi, etc. and I liked the Legacy best. I was waiting for them to give one a good test to confirm my thinking. To get the best numbers/luxury, I'll be asking them to test the LegacyGT Limited 5MT Sedan.

The September issue of Automobile Magazine highlights “New Cars 2005 – 50 of the Best”. Included are at least two Buicks, Kia and Suzuki as well as other “exciting” new or slightly revised models. Notably missing is our new beloved Legacy/Outback. Guess they haven’t made much of an impression their journalists, or others it seems, judging from the lack of published reviews and road tests to date.

[quote name='REX02']The September issue of Automobile Magazine highlights “New Cars 2005 – 50 of the Best”. Included are at least two Buicks, Kia and Suzuki as well as other “exciting” new or slightly revised models. Notably missing is our new beloved Legacy/Outback. Guess they haven’t made much of an impression their journalists, or others it seems, judging from the lack of published reviews and road tests to date.[/quote] I was just looking through AM tonight, too, and noticed the (glaringly obvious) lack of the Subarus and I was like "WTH!?!?!" Anybody have a good idea why this is happening?

We could have stumbled on to the "Best kept Secret" on the auto industry. This has got to be the best bang for the buck car out there. I bet you get more bang for the buck then the GT Mustang. Try driving one of those in the snow. Some day the rest of the plant may get a clue. Just try not to feel to sorry for them. They have no idea what they are missing. :D

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

as far as the comment that the article sounded like they looked at one at an autoshow or dealership or something then quoted from sales literature--thats a trend I see more and more in magazines in general, not just the automotive field, and I would guess it has something to do with the decline of writing ability, knowledge or enthusiasm for what they are writing about in many cases, etc. As someone working in the field of education I feel that the writing ability of the average student has declined markedly over the years, and if you examine the way most do a research paper, for instance, you can see why they simply spout a brochure--its all go on the internet and cut and paste things from different sites. Most don't even think there is anything wrong with this...*sigh*...

Speaking as a journalist, the Motor Trend piece is a preview, which in that world, is different from a review. Fundamentally, a preview says "Here's why the company think the car is cool. We drove it around some and yeah, it is pretty cool." The implied bit is "More to come when we test one." A review, obviously, hooks up the instrumented testing. A magazine review shouldn't make you want the car more or less. You either do or you don't. Car & Driver is going to get a hot number from the GT, one that you shouldn't try at home, making their review, as far as speed goes, in effect, useless for you. If you like the car, great. Buy one. If you don't, ask yourself how a magazine's words, positive or negative, are going to sway. Sports Car International had a most excellent review of the Legacy GT, by the by. And that is one of the more trustworthy magazines out there, by an order of magnitude more so than Motor Trend, frankly. Look up that review, in the August (or September) issue. Note that they also preferred the wagon to the sedan. :D Kevin

Archived