LegacyGT.com

05 wagon sunroof motor

Awhile back I noticed my sunroof refused to open. For testing purposes, I tried manually opening and closing the roof. When I tried turning the gear it was incredibly difficult to do so. I figured it was debris in the track holding it up since I was torquing the hell out of the hex to get it to move. This was a couple months ago and due to rain, snow and everything else, it fell to the way side and I left it alone. It was closed after all and I fixed the missing bolt, so I didn't need to worry about exhaust fumes.

Last Saturday, I ripped apart the entire interior of the car to get to the sunroof motor as I'm fixing all the little issues in the car while I have time. While I was in there, I tested every fuse and wire from the passenger side A pillar to the motor and to the sunroof switch in the front of the car.

I plugged everything back in after degreasing and greasing the entire track and it worked once. Then it went back to not working again.

Fuses 4 and 24 checked ok.

IG1 and IG2 Relay have to be OK because all the other windows open.

continuity tested cables check all the way from the A pillar all the way back, strong signal on each.

I'm assuming it's the "smart motor" in it that went bad, but I have no idea how to test, or what voltage to run through it for testing.

Edited by kaluce
fixed formatting.

yeah it likely has copper traces along the face of the final rotating assembly similar to a wiper motor or the auto A/C actuators. The traces get worn out through a lot of use and the motor no longer has reference points for where to stop (since it stops at two points along the way of opening and closing)

Other potential is through a lot of use, the cable drive has gotten all wonky and is not allowing the motor to move freely.

Definitely check the FSM but thats my 2 cents. Either way you'll need a new motor or motor assembly.

Wagon is LIFE! - 265,000 miles and climbing

Unofficial Build (Restoration) Thread

Steering Rack Rebuild

@Max Capacity, it was my first point of call since it's usually the most reliable (albeit sometimes roundabout) source of information. It's surprisingly unhelpful for the sunroof though, which I found odd. Says check the switch, it should be <1 Ohm per connection. That's pretty much it. Doesn't offer anything in the way of what fuses to check or what to test on the motor to see if it's working.

@Jaylew, I'm thinking it's going to have to be the motor assembly then. The gearing inside spins freely, and while it's not quite one finger open and close the glass, it's far from hard to open or close either, especially after cleaning and greasing the track.

Kills me that it worked ONE LAST TIME, and then I didn't get anything out of it. Not even the relay in the motor clicking.