LegacyGT.com

6mt 3.0r swap project.

Updates ahoy!

Sorry guys. Been working 60-70 hours a week lately and every waking moment is spent on the car.

I have a question for you guys, hopefully someone can knowledge bomb me. I promise I'll do an update post when I get home tonight! Its good stuff you'll like it.

So to my question... ( Need the info so I can order parts today)

I'm swapping the rear brakes to the 07 WRX FHI 2 pots. I've ordered the calipers.

I haven't ordered the brackets, rotors, backing plates, parking brake parts... Because I'm not sure what to get.

I'm starting with the legacy NA backing plates, not the GT. I can't figure out if they are the same or different.

So the question remains... Use my old plates with brackets? Order WRX brackets and modify? Order different plates and still use brackets?

I would prefer to just buy WRX rear rotors and a parking brake kit that works. I really just seem to be having a hard time finding that info.

Thanks in advance guys! Also, spam my inbox if I forget to update.

You should be able to go to most Dealerships web sites and look up parts under the link to Parts Dept.

There's a Vendor page here and a sticky up top about parts.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/oem-online-subaru-parts-vendors-list-42243.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey all - I'm doing this as well on an 08 Outback 3.0R. It goes in to the shop for the mechanicals in 2-3 weeks. I'll handle the troubleshooting after driving it home with nonfunctioning abs and vdc.

Pedals are installed and I'm working on computer bugs. It runs and starts fine with B55 pin 11 grounded to start and open to run, and with the TCM disconnected and the one DTC (P0600) turned off, but I have no abs, vdc, or cruise. I'm also working on mapping out everything the TCM reads and does normally so I can replicate that if needed with an arduino or just send CAN packets to make everything else think it's still there.

Kukazula, have you done anything with CANBUS yet? I'm doing the swap with three other guys and we're working on mapping out all the CANBUS stuff as well as making a plug-n-play wiring connector kit so we don't have to cut or splice any wiring.

• 2 weeks later...

Dropped my car off for the swap today. Should be 3-20 days.

We have CANBUS mostly mapped out for the 5EAT now - and enough data logs to work a few things out afterwards if needed. I'll post the CAL IDs and byte IDs up shortly.

If anyone needs part lists or pinouts before then please let me know. I plan to get this well documented and available for reference sometime soon, probably this summer.

Peter

• 1 month later...

hey guys. Been awhile, sorry.

The hydra 2.7 has been sold, it was impossible to get any real support for it.

I'm saving to buy a haltech elite 2500. Guys there said they'd help me with base maps, and hooked me up with a haltech tuner near me.

The snow is finally melting so I'm getting ready to start working again.

First order of business.... I met a guy with an 08 3.0r. he's selling me the entire harness, with the fuse box, immobilizer, key, ecu, everything.

I figure this is a good place to start for the haltech install. Swap the whole damn thing and make my life easier.

I'm also taking the GT seats, and the dash since mine is cracked.

I have the usdm stock sat nav for sale if anyone is interested.

Im also offering up the original black leather seats from the car. Not in the best shape, but cheap. Pm me for info.

GT Seats are getting reupholstered. Because I can.

Rims are being shipped as we speak. Once I come up with the cash for the haltech, I should have a running vehicle. I'll post small updates to progress whenever possible.

Dropped my car off for the swap today. Should be 3-20 days.

We have CANBUS mostly mapped out for the 5EAT now - and enough data logs to work a few things out afterwards if needed. I'll post the CAL IDs and byte IDs up shortly.

If anyone needs part lists or pinouts before then please let me know. I plan to get this well documented and available for reference sometime soon, probably this summer.

Peter

Can you send me the pinouts and CANBUS info? Also the CAL IDs and byte IDs? I think if I send this info to haltech, it'll make their lives easier.

Of course I'll forward you any information they give me aswell. Might be able to come up with some smooth tunes if we can collab info, eh?

Kukazula,

Sure - PM me your email and I'll get it sent over your way. We have a whole google drive with all that in it. It needs some cleanup before it's published but there's a lot there. I have a months worth of CANBUS logs from the car also, which may be helpful for the new ECU to play nice with the other stuff on the system.

CANBUS is mapped out - to the extent we're going to map it - for my 08 3.0R. I'm moving onto ECU tuning now for the stock ECU. I have a throttle delay issue while shifting but other than that it seems to be running at 100%. I've put 3000 miles on the car since the swap now and it's fantastic. 70% of that has been on cruise control.

Make sure you get the instrument cluster and BIU also with the keys and immobilizer - You probably know this already.

TY856WVDBD - It's from a JDM 2007 Legacy 3.0R Spec B. $3000 from Ebay on a pallet with the whole drivetrain. Shipped from Toronto ($3612 total with lift gate service). Really any TY856 works, but you need the other stuff too. legacypic.uk has all the transmission gear ratios and is super helpful. Mine is just a normal Spec B transmission. You can also get the STI box with DCCD (more $$$) or the S402 box (Super rare from Japan, higher 5th and 6th gears). I was really tempted on the S402 box but this one was in better shape and $600 less.

SI drive works fine - It's just throttle mapping. There may have been some transmission responsiveness parameters that are changed with the automatic but none of that matters. It just changes how the pedal feels, that's all as far as I can tell. It's not some giant black magic thing like everyone thinks it is.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.ebbdcb3ffd21623f6057b2b0ea38297d.jpg

That's fantastic to know. I have the non-dccd version from a 2005 spec b. I believe mine is the DBA, I'd have to go back and confirm... But now I know that grabbing the si drive switch center console will be worth my time. Thank you.

Are you tuning this yourself? Is this all on a stock ecu?

Edit: On second thought I'll go investigate other posts you've likely made on this site. I'm not good at forums

Edited by Kukazula

Kukazula,

This is all on a stock ECU. The rest of the car thinks it's just an automatic stuck in M mode and never shifts.

If you're going to get a 3.0R USDM ecu (not standalone) I'd get an 05-07. There are wiring differences starting in 2008. SI drive isn't that cool, and I suspect things will be more interchangeable if you use a 2005-2007 3.0R donor for the ECU, BIU, keys, engine, etc. Also I believe 2005-2007 has a sport mode but no sport sharp, you'd just need a new button for it.

Here's my thread:

https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/peters-h6-manual-swap-outback.531081/

Kukazula,

This is all on a stock ECU. The rest of the car thinks it's just an automatic stuck in M mode and never shifts.

If you're going to get a 3.0R USDM ecu (not standalone) I'd get an 05-07. There are wiring differences starting in 2008. SI drive isn't that cool, and I suspect things will be more interchangeable if you use a 2005-2007 3.0R donor for the ECU, BIU, keys, engine, etc. Also I believe 2005-2007 has a sport mode but no sport sharp, you'd just need a new button for it.

Here's my thread:

https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/peters-h6-manual-swap-outback.531081/

Were you able to (or did you) compare USDM 3.0R ECU vs JDM 3.0R 6MT ECU and maps? Curious since I have a full JDM 3.0R 6MT engine harness with ECU, BUI and all that jazz, except for instrument cluster. Bought couple of years ago during late night red-eye "just browsing" sessions.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

• 11 months later...
Were you able to (or did you) compare USDM 3.0R ECU vs JDM 3.0R 6MT ECU and maps? Curious since I have a full JDM 3.0R 6MT engine harness with ECU, BUI and all that jazz, except for instrument cluster. Bought couple of years ago during late night red-eye "just browsing" sessions.

Sorry for replying almost a year later. I'm a lame human being.

Life got a little messy there, but we're back in business now. I was able to compare the ECU's, problem is, security is nearly impossible to crack. that leaves you two options. 1, Standalone aftermarket ECU, or, switching an entire harness, including every single computer attached, the gauge cluster and a matching key. decided it wasnt worth my time, swapped in a matching harness.

I am back from the dead, and looking to finish this son-of-a-***** this year.

rims and tires are here. decided to go with an arduino set up for now... as i dont want to get too crazy before i get this thing running reliably. dont want to count the chickens before they hatch.

Brembos had an issue. they have been swapped out with a new set, and are being powdercoated at the moment.

02 wrx sti brake master cylinder with a 1-1/16ths bore and booster are on the way, to support the bigger brakes. steel lines have been added aswell. headers are here, invidia q300 is here, working on welding up a y pipe, if the weather will ever behave.

having engine wiring harness issues due to broken plugs, working on a solution.

for other swappers, be aware the FPR in the 30r is exclusive to the car and extremely expensive. get one from your donor. also, make sure you take all the belt drive items, as h6's have 6 teeth on the belt, vs 5 on the 2.5's. take the power steering lines aswell, as they have slightly different fittings.

will post updates this summer.

• Like 1