LegacyGT.com

Clutch/Throwout bearing :(

This might be a stupid question guys with an easy answer so go lightly on me! When my clutch pedal ISN’T engaged, would that be the throwout bearing sounding like an awful whistling noise?! It’s so bad now! I want to attempt to fix it myself if I can, the dealership has tried 3 times now :(

If the noise goes away when your foot is not on the clutch pedal, and makes noise when you push the clutch pedal to the floor. It's the throw out bearing. A common issue for us. What's the mileage on the vehicle?

If there is a noise when the clutch is not being touched and it goes away when you push down the clutch. It's likely the input shaft bearing and you'll need to rebuild the transmission for that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What has the dealership done/replaced? If they replaced the TOB, then I don't see how there's any way that can be the problem. What do they say about the noise that persists?

Even after the TOB has been replaced, I think it can be normal to hear a very slight, that I think sounds like crickets chirping from what I remember.

The first time my TOB went bad, it sounded like a belt squealing it was so bad. After the first replacement I got paranoid and replaced it when there was noticeable whirring.

With the clutch released a bad input shaft bearing will sound like a whirring noise with the car in neutral. Depressing the clutch will make it stop.

The pitch of the sound will change as you rev up the motor with the clutch released.

When driving it may be hard to hear until it gets really bad, but it will change pitch slightly on accel/decel

As stated above the TOB will only make noise with the pedal depressed and the TOB is engaged with the fingers of the pressure plate. If it is the input shaft bearing the trans will need to be overhauled, or replaced.

Before you get too carried away make sure the fluid level in your trans is full, and its not brown and nasty. If it's too low the bearing may be running dry and making noise. If its low your car takes 75w90 GL5 gear oil.

The stick to check it is right behind the engine on the passenger side. Make sure the car is level. Fill it through the hole the stick is in.

Not sure if this is the same thing, but I had mine serviced a couple months ago due to the "chirping" noise that only went away when I pressed (disengaged) the clutch. Had my mechanic do the service and he used this kit: https://www.importimageracing.com/products/pdm-tsk3-snout-throwout-bearing-and-sleeve-repair-kit-subaru-wrx-legacy-gt-forester-xt?gclid=CjwKCAiA3abwBRBqEiwAKwICA2n7-srlYmli6eAdttTcOGpOftDAZ-jX9Xjio4J9Rm8wfSzGg2AaLxoCdb0QAvD_BwE

Not sure if this is the same thing, but I had mine serviced a couple months ago due to the "chirping" noise that only went away when I pressed (disengaged) the clutch. Had my mechanic do the service and he used this kit: https://www.importimageracing.com/products/pdm-tsk3-snout-throwout-bearing-and-sleeve-repair-kit-subaru-wrx-legacy-gt-forester-xt?gclid=CjwKCAiA3abwBRBqEiwAKwICA2n7-srlYmli6eAdttTcOGpOftDAZ-jX9Xjio4J9Rm8wfSzGg2AaLxoCdb0QAvD_BwE

I am buying this and a different fork for mine. don't want those issues.

I am buying this and a different fork for mine. don't want those issues.

If you really don't want to worry about it and you've got an up rated clutch, check out verus engineerings over built clutch fork. I'm running an oe clutch so I didn't think it was worth the cost and I don't push much power either.

My car’s history with that noise is extensive. They worked on the clutch at 90k and serviced the TOB during that. The noise has been there and gotten worse since. I’ve taken it back to them multiple times with multiple TOB “warranties” on them but it doesn’t fix the issue. When my foot is OFF the clutch pedal the noise is bad. When I press in the clutch, it completely disappears. I work at an AutoBody shop so I have access to al kinds of tools, equipment, and knowledge but am I in over my head wanting to fix this on my own? I’m over the dealership technicians. Also, I checked the fluid this morning and the color and level were perfect.

So it's not your throw out bearing then. Based on what you're telling us. Your possible options are input shaft (full transmission rebuild), cv axle (not terrible), drive shaft (easy), rear differential (no idea but it's going to be like cv axle and drive shafts combined.

Here's what I'd do. Start checking everything since an input shaft is bad news bears. Get under the car and look for leaks at the trans, wiggle your cv axles, shake the drive shaft. When was the last time you changed your rear diff fluid? Diffs and trans should be 30k ish. If it's none of those it's likely the input shaft.

To do the input shaft you'll need to pull the trans completely out, split the case (check the end of my build thread or the daily thread as awful waffle just pulled apart a trans) and replace it. Might as well replace the gears while you're at it. It's labor intensive. I wouldn't advise it.

• 3 weeks later...
If the noise goes away when your foot is not on the clutch pedal, and makes noise when you push the clutch pedal to the floor. It's the throw out bearing. A common issue for us. What's the mileage on the vehicle?

If there is a noise when the clutch is not being touched and it goes away when you push down the clutch. It's likely the input shaft bearing and you'll need to rebuild the transmission for that one.

Mine had the noise- a chirping sound, similar to belt squeak. It went away when I pushed the clutch in. When my foot was not on the pedal, the noise was there.

My Subaru mechanic used this kit for the repair:

https://www.flatironstuning.com/pdm-tranquil-tsk3-snout-release-bearing-sleeve-repair-kit-subaru

But it sounds like OP’s issue is different than mine.

My car’s history with that noise is extensive. They worked on the clutch at 90k and serviced the TOB during that. The noise has been there and gotten worse since. I’ve taken it back to them multiple times with multiple TOB “warranties” on them but it doesn’t fix the issue. When my foot is OFF the clutch pedal the noise is bad. When I press in the clutch, it completely disappears. I work at an AutoBody shop so I have access to al kinds of tools, equipment, and knowledge but am I in over my head wanting to fix this on my own? I’m over the dealership technicians. Also, I checked the fluid this morning and the color and level were perfect.

Lets verify when the noise is present.

Engine at idle, tranny in neutral, foot off the pedal, is the noise there ?

Engine at idle, tranny in gear, foot on pedal, is the noise there ?

Driving the car at speed, is the noise there ?

Coasting at speed, tranny in neutral, foot off the pedal, any noise ?

Coasting at speed, tranny in gear, foot pushing the pedal down, noise ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here