LegacyGT.com

What Would You Do?

I'm in a really good situation where my out of pocket expenses on a monthly basis are super low while maintaining a savings budget. With that in mind, over the past month i've been looking at a new "fast car" but considering the cost with other brands, my current 08 Spec B seems to be the best option to modify and get it to 500+ WHP.. With that in mind, I want to start ordering parts here and there so I don't have to drop a large amount of money when I need to do the build. So... What would you guys start ordering to get a 2008 Spec B over 500 WHP(In regards to Piston, Rods, Bearintg, Etc..?

Current Mods

SPT Air Intake

SPT Exhaust

Cobb Boost Control Controller

Invidia Up Pipe

Cobb Catted Downpipe

ID1050X + Adpaters

320 Aem Fuel Pump

GS TM Intercooler

VF52

If the money is available for an IAG block, start there. ELH for the extra flow. And a decent turbo to support the power goals. Blouch comes to mind here, or contact our well known forum member jmp to see what he has available.

Last but not the least......a good tune.......can't stress that enough

Man if you have the funds I would say go for it and make 500 HP. BUT, I would put that much money into a legacy. I think 350 MAX is good. I would save for say a used R35 GTR, R8, AUDI RS sedan, Something V8.

I love the legacy, but I at some point want to get to that other level of car. Really think about it. Pros and Cons. Something just happens to cars that get way above the power level. I remember a buddy of my had an SRT4 that made 420 WHP, and I hated every second riding in it. :mad: I was not fun.

IAG block is the only correct answer.

You'll also need larger injector, FMIC, TGV deletes, air pump delete kit, better CAI, ELH with EWG up pipe.... etc.

For the record, I'm at 450whp and the thing puts a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel. If you have the drive and the financial stability... why not?

IAG block is the only correct answer.

You'll also need larger injector, FMIC, TGV deletes, air pump delete kit, better CAI, ELH with EWG up pipe.... etc.

For the record, I'm at 450whp and the thing puts a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel. If you have the drive and the financial stability... why not?

Hey I am not saying do not do it. By all means it would be awesome to see a 500 HP Leg running around. I would not daily drive it but thats me. I am so used to having a daily and a toy to drive around in.

I went the Legacy route due to having 2 kinds in daycare and so on. I put a pause on the 2013 R35 Track edition cause I wanted to pay cash for it. But my eye is set on a R8 V10 plus. About 3 years from now kids will be out of daycare :spin:. I just love the sound and look. But I change my mind often lol. I just want something on that level or higher as my pay goes up :).

Why do you feel you need that HP in a 10 y/o car ?

350whp is fine in these cars. Dependable with that 6mt.

IMO put your money some where else.

With a little bigger turbo your great would be even more fun to drive and still be reliable.

So many other things to do with spare money then throw it at a old car. Have you traveled much to other countries on vacations ?

Its your money, just giving you something to think about...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

So you stock block will hold up to below 400hp anything above that and your playing with a ticking time bomb.

I was speaking to the guy who has posted a video on facebook of him gapping a z06.

He is running the following and it has him over +700whp problem is that he is now running out of fuel so more upgrades planned but this is his current setup.

- Outfront V4 closed deck block with 1/2" Headstuds & pinned mains

- EL Headers

- FMIC

- ID1700

- Radium Dual Fuel Pump hanger w/twin AEM340 pumps

- Cobb Flex Fuel

- Process West Intake Manifold

- ETS Rotated kit

- Garret GTX3582R Gen 2

- Ported Heads w/ Bigger valves

- GSC 272 Cams

It nice to see a legacy gap a Z06 or something exotic. But at the end of the day a Z06, lambo, or 720S is still on another level.:lol:

Why not just look at several of the well known Subaru engine builders (IAG, Crawford, Element, etc) and compare their built short blocks to see what they use for each? I'd bet you find certain parts/manufacturers used by several vendors as a good starting point.

If/When you build your specB, would it be your daily or a weekend warrior with another car covering daily duties?

C5 Z06's in decent condition can be had for ~$20k. Right now on AutoTrader there's an '02 with 27k miles and has a $25k asking price. Buy that, budget about $10k for a blower and supporting mods and you'll have a reliable 500whp (conservative) car.

Personally I'd rather put 20k into my LGT than commit to payments on a $70k car at this point in my life.

If I then sold my LGT for $14k (a couple years later) I could live with that type of ROI.

Pay cash for it and you do not have to worry about a payment, I have paid cash for all my cars including My 2013 legacy 2.5i, 2010 Taurus (43K miles rarely driven DD) and 06 LGT including parts and money to build it.

BTW my 06 LGT is car number 30 that I have owned and paid out right for. I do not believe in debt and payments. I will drive the LGT save and get something cash on the next level. It's hard to wait 5 years or more to get what you want, but I am in no hurry.