LegacyGT.com

STI trans fitted into 5th Gen LGT

What do yo mean, it's only 2x the cost of the blast plates, plus the STi trans and all the incidental bits.

LOL. I'm not sure if you are mocking me or agreeing with me.

It's not cheap, but if everything else for the swap is just stock parts other than possibly the shifter, you will still majorly cut down on the widely-accepted 10k price for a complete conversion.

Good point. My reaction was pretty knee jerk, and I hadn't put much thought into it.

I get it from a product perspective. Likely a low volume part. Probably not worth it to set up tooling, etc. for anything less than $800 a set (two brackets, right?). At best case, these guys would sell like 10 sets.

From a labor perspective, it is hard to swallow as I suspect that $800 approaches what a creative shop doing it themselves would charge to make these in the process of installing a STI trans. How long to you think it would take a competent automotive fabricator build a set from scratch?

To be clear, I've blown plenty of stupid money on less important items for my 5th gen, and if I fried my trans, I'd certainly be buying these.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kudos to MCG. He hit it on the head. Low volume item and the fab cost is high. There is no prospect of any kind of high volume production. There were less than 2,000 of these cars made. How many are left? How many owners are going to be interested in installing an STI trans? I have had my 2010 Legacy GT Ltd for about 5 years. The car is generating almost 400 brake hp and is a daily driver. The car was perfect except for the junk excuse for a sound system (upgraded), the stupid electric brake (stuck with that) and the c----y cable shifter and oem trans. The clunky shifting was horrible. That is now fixed beautifully with the STI trans and shifter. The car is perfect short of the e brake. Minor deficiency. This is now the car that Subaru should have built. My wife keeps telling me to buy a new car. My response is "why". I love my car. It does everything I want it to. The STI trans was the single biggest item that changed the character of the vehicle. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

• 1 year later...

I never heard of any body making and offering these for sale. That is why I had my shop custom fabricate them. I do have a brand new Subaru oem short throw shifter kit, brand new, for sale. I was going to install this before I did the STI trans swap. It would have improved the shifting I am told. It is part number C1010VA001. $250 shipped to the continental US. I am in Osprey, FL.

v

a001