LegacyGT.com

Which oil pan, pick up, dipstick? for refresh

Found, Fumoto Valve.

But still don't understand why it is better than simple plug with gasket.

Mostly cleaning. I always get oil all over the place cuz I'm not good at this stuff. I want to get a fumoto valve with the nipple and put a hose on it to drain it straight into an empty jug for disposal. Then I don't have to pour a gallon from my pan into said bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had to dig through my old pictures to find what the 05 LGT oil pan (11109AA131) drain hole looks like:

attachment.php?attachmentid=281169&stc=1&d=1575297463

This design causes the oil to shoot in 4 different directions, on top of that if there is foreign material, like pieces of oil filter (seen it on VW...) or chunks of sludge, it will get caught in the small holes and wont drain out. I really wonder what prompted the Subaru engineers to go this route, my 04 FXT had a normal drain plug hole...

Fumoto valve (sorry spelled it wrong before) replaces the drain plug, what it does is concentrate the 4 drain holes into 1 so it's much cleaner, but it still doesn't resolve the bigger foreign material from being able to drain out.

attachment.php?attachmentid=281170&stc=1&d=1575297632

Another issue with both the older 11109AA131 and especially with Fumoto valve, you loose the ability to use a magnetic drainplug. While it's not THAT big of a deal for most, I do like the idea of seeing any metal buildup in my oil. Also onetime, while doing valve seals on my SR20, I lost a valve keeper, the drain plug magnet should catch something like that :lol:

2145727086_05LGT_Drain_Hole_11109AA131.thumb.jpg.69bc35fa9d9e41d2534f6c1c87c8da6a.jpg

764434099_FumotoValve.jpg.85ea18ebca8ed419bf1daed82298d319.jpg

Edited by covertrussian

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

FYI Summit racing has the moroso Oil pick on sale for 87 buck. to get free shipping I found a 50ct box of 8mil gloves. 100 bucks all together no tax or shipping. I needed gloves months ago. great sale.

Also I think the EZ drain valve is better made. It cost a bit more but quality is top notch. I have had them on all my cars but my 09 WRX due to the rally armor that would not allow it.

I was another person looking at the Killer B but the cost was high. Plus I have a few more things on my list to get. I will use stock pan and so on. I am to old to be tracking lol

part number is MOR24965

All twin scroll factory sumps are a good cheap option if you're on a tight budget. The shape gives far less slosh than the single scroll variety. Can get them, pickups, fill tubes and dipsticks from partsouq. Helps to have a JDM vin number handy to make the search a little easier.

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

I would recommend switching to 2006+ LGT oil pan setup. It doesn't have the stupid restrictors on the drain plug hole, which makes changing the oil way less messy. They also have a slightly different oil pan baffle design, which I believe the 2006+ is better (with less left over dirty oil per change).

2006 LGT:

Oil Pan: 11109AA151

Dipstick: 11140AA150

Oil baffle and Dipstick guide show to be the same part numbers, but for sake of having it in one spot:

Baffle: 10915AA010

Dipstick Guide: 15144AA011

Also I would go with aftermarket pickup tube as others have mentioned, especially since OEM 2006+ tend to crack easily. I think 2005's do eventually too but not nearly as much.

2005 Pickup Tube: 15049AA070

2006 Pickup Tube: 15049AA110

When switching to a 2006 Pan, is the Dipstick guide also required? The reason I ask, is I saw a package deal from a vendor that was a hybrid of a 2006 Pan/Dipstick, and the Killer B Baffle/Pickup. Their package did not include the Dipstick guide.

Yes but that's a different vehicle. I think it's like how we have the new rear end with the old style brakes.

I bought 15144AA011 from rallysportdirect because I was dumb and refusing to go to the dealer. Parts.subaru.com shows that as the same part number for 05/06 obxt lgt vehicles.

I also know it doesn't fit the 07-09 properly although that's irrelevant to the convo I suppose. I couldn't get the dipstick tube out due to something with the timing cover, or more likely my own incompetence. I bent my old one badly. Machine shop put the new one on with the oil pan and I may or may not have bent it some to fit with the air pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk