LegacyGT.com

Checking cv axles

So my obxt 5mt is running again. It's got this annoying whining noise from the front driver side. Seems to be dependent on wheel speed, higher pitch at higher speeds. There's no clunking or anything over bumps or in turns and it's not a grinding noise. Happens under power or with the clutch depressed.

If I get under the car and tug on the axles there's the slightest in and out play on the driver side. Certainly more than the left side but not much. No grease leaking or tears in the boots. I haven't lifted it up and spun the wheel by hand yet to see if that does anything but what else can I check?

I want to get this fixed so I can spend money on some skid plates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

there's the slightest in and out play on the driver side. Certainly more than the left side but not much

Now you should know, unless you have a JDM car the drivers side is the left side.

You always talk as sitting in the pilot's seat.

If you can find a good replacement OEM axle from a junkyard, you may be better off rebooting that good junkyard OEM then risking an auto parts store free life time warranty.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Oh lord I said the same side twice. Haha I get confused and for some reason always default to the lookers left style of being at the ski lodge and rock climbing.

So driver side (left) has slightly more play than passenger (right) but that's in and out of the trans, not rotation. I don't think either had any rotational play. Looking for stuff earlier today I kept reading about pops and grinding and clunking, but this sounds more like rubber rubbing on rubber.

Yea I've read oe reman or new oe is the way to go. Issues with aftermarket seem to be primarily on automatics but I'm wondering if this is my problem. The boots seem to be in fine shape so I wonder if they've been redone before. Nothing wrong with the passenger side like I read about.

Will these things just wear over time regardless of boot condition? I imagine if there was a seal issue at the trans or cv joint I'd be leaking oil/grease somewhere.

I've kind of wondered about this as well. I sometimes get a sound that I can't describe from the front left of my car. There is some play in the front left axle shaft when I move it back and forth, it's a 3-4 year old autozone reman. On the front right side of my car I have a newer cv axle that's a new cardone hd, and there is zero play in the shaft.

I can't figure out how to quickly/easily combine these vids, but here's an example of the play.

I'd say that's about how much play I have on mine on that same side. I think mines an oe possibly original. It's snowing so I'm not gonna bother to look right now.

From inside the car it ALMOST sounds like a transmission whine but it does it if I coast with the clutch depressed so I don't think so. I can really locate it better with the window down and then it's more a squeal at low speed. Mine is constant though. I can forget it's there above 30 due to pitch change and road noise but it's ALWAYS there.