LegacyGT.com

Anyone See Smoke from Exhaust during 70% acceleration?

Smoker324

Hi All,

Had my oil changed at the dealership today. No problems that I noticed and I think my problem (if there is one) is not related -- but...

On the way home I had to hit the gas to slip into traffic and I noticed definite cloud of smoke in the rearview -- picked up by headlights of the ahole behind me that didn't want to let me in. I first thought maybe a bit of wheelspin on sand or something. I hit the throttle again -- not at WOT -- a bit less -- probably 4500 75% pedal depression, clutch all the way out.

Well, there it was again -- much more than I have ever noticed before at nightime. I could not tell color, and I have never seen it in the daytime.

I suspect rich condition -- but I am using approx 2 qt oil every 3500 miles too. So I don't know -- Any thoughts?

Temp 40-45 deg F. Possible -- but I don't think si as I can picture the old vapor trail and this looked different.

Could be the nighttime made it look diff.

But riddle me this -- what do your tailpipes look like -- mine clearly are back and a tiny bit sooty. If I drag my finger over tp I get a residue.

-Dan

How many miles on the odo??

Mine started at 1qt/3k miles, tried heavier oils and it still went to 1qt+/1k miles. So took it to the dealer, did an oil consumption test(oil change, record oil level/mileage, drive 500-1000miles, measure again), passed the 1qt/1k spec and after triaging it turns out that the turbo oil seal on the intake side was leaking and they're replacing the whole turbo assembly, since there are no rebuild kits. They also did a compression/leakdown test and it was within specs but I don't know whether the pressures were on the high or low side of the specs.

I should have more information in 1.5 weeks.

So taking your driving style, WOT, high-RPM runs into consideration :

- Try a heavier oil, eg. 10W-40, else

- Goto dealer and start an oil consumption test

Gotta go bbl.

Mojo

I keed I keeed

20K on the clock -- I do a mix of driving -- very rare WOT as this car is fast enough :).

I was using approx 1 qt per 1k when I first got car and that has steadily dropped. Seems to be in line with what I hear from others.

I am not so much worried about the consumption issue and I have yet to see a drop on the d-way.

Oil getting past rings or seals bothers me -

A rich condition on hard acceleration -- if normal -- which I suspect it is -- doesn't really bother me either but do any of you see any smoke on WOT?

There is no such part.

Maybe I'm describing it incorrectly. He mentioned there was a ton of oil in the intercooler and intake tract and that they tracked it down to the turbo. I asked is the turbo leaking oil from both sides, he said no just from the intake/compressor side. So what's that part called?

I keed I keeed

Maybe I'm describing it incorrectly. He mentioned there was a ton of oil in the intercooler and intake tract and that they tracked it down to the turbo. I asked is the turbo leaking oil from both sides, he said no just from the intake/compressor side. So what's that part called?

There is only 1 oil seal in the trubo, and, believe it or not it is a piston ring.

Didn't mean to give you a hard time, but am always leary of dealer double-speak. Oil in the intercooler is definitely a bad sign.....

i would tell you that i qt/1k is totally normal. I used to have a 2002 Acura CL type S and on full accelleration it left a decent black smoke trail. It just means that since it is running rich it does not completely burn the gas. the unburned fuel mixture is burned in your cat and makes it run a little dirtier. Also, oil burnoff is not unusual on high compression ratio cars. 4500rpm + spooled turbo =lots of gas!!

That's is likely the exact problem. It could also be a problem with the oil drain back to the block or the PCV system.

I thought about the PCV system, but I think since the compression/leakdown tests came out within specs that blowby isn't an issue, which would've pushed a lot of oil thru out the crankcase, right?

I keed I keeed

The oil is well above the full mark. I have been following it and even had my brother in a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP follow me to report. I only get it under serious acceleration. I can now state as fact that the 2.5 gt ltd is faster than the Pontiac GP GTP. Of course his ride is 9 years old -- but still.

It certainly is a rich condition only happeneing on heavy accel.

I am no longer worried about it.

-Dan

Archived