LegacyGT.com

Cooper Lifeliner SLE tires for winter?

slissner

For my spec.B, I thinking of fitting all-season—yes, I know that they really should be called no-season—tires, instead of winter tires. I live in northern Virginia, near Washington, DC, a temperate climate. Ice is a greater problem than snow.

So I'm thinking that cheap wheels and tires are the right choice for winter, but I don't want to surrender all of the spec.B's handling and roadholding. I seek a balance between performance and winter grip. My local tire guy, whom I trust, suggests Cooper Lifeliner SLE tires. The size would be 215/50VR17. The Cooper tires are priced about the same as Kumho, Hankook and other similar tires. I'm inclined to get the discontinued BBS Saabaru wheels, 17x7.5 with an offset of ET48 wheels, which are $141. each. I assume that they are well made and strong.

The only winter tires in size 215/45-18 for the spec.B are $200 Bridgestone LM-22 tires. They have two disadvantages. They're XL-rated with a reinforced tread and that's unneeded on the spec.B and they're $200.00 each.

Comments and recommendations are welcome! Thanks.

Did you try searching tirerack.com on the sizes you mentioned? I'd do some research on the Cooper Lifeline SLE's prior to getting them. My gut says, "Don't Do It". I would look for a dedicated winter tire and use the all-seasons in the spring/summer/early fall. I would go for a dedicated winter tire if making the change...esp. for icy conditions. just my .02
- The Mortgage Man

Hi - those BBS wheels are a great choice....just pick up the BBS center caps too , lest people think you are driving a Saab ;) I'd recommend Hankook IceBear tires....people have had good luck with them and they are CHEAP.

225/45/17 is a better size to go with than the one your local tire guy suggest. I have that size on 17x7.5 BBS for my car for winter (Toyo FZ4 tires).

The spec.B has 215/45-18 tires which have almost identical diameter, within a few millimeters, to 215/50-17. 225/45-17 is several percentage points smaller than 215/45-18. I don't want to skew the speedometer and the odometer. Acura, Mazda, and now Subaru are equipping cars with 215/45-18 tires. Perhaps next year they'll be some cheaper tires in that size. Maybe I'll just get Dunlop M3 215/50VR17 winter tires.

ehh....forgot about the oddball size on those 18's. 215/45/18 = 25.6 in diameter, or exactly and inch taller than the normal LGT tire. A 235/45/17 is a perfect match at 25.6" and will be fine on the 7.5" wheel you are looking at.

Tires.com has the Hankook IceBear in that size for $436/shipped or Dunlop Graspic DS-2 for $84 more if you want a more 'name brand'. Some of the guys in Colorado are running the IceBear's and are more than happy with them.

I can tell you from personal experience that the Spec B suspension + even a 245 tire is a great thing. I went back to a 225 wide for winter and I can feel the difference in kickback in the steering wheel. The extra width of the wider tire gets put to good use and handling at the extreme is no drama.

I'm inclined to get the discontinued BBS Saabaru wheels, 17x7.5 with an offset of ET48 wheels, which are $141. each. I assume that they are well made and strong.

Comments and recommendations are welcome! Thanks.

This is interesting to me, because my future legacy will be getting 18" 3-seasons, and 17" winters, with the ECU changed over to the 18" rim calibration that the Spec B uses... Unless I get a spec B directly, and need to make fewer changes. I also like BBS wheels.

Are you talking about these: (also known as BBS RK, I think)

http://www.saabcatalog.com/retail/images/family/big/5989_17_C.jpg

Here's the RK from Tire rack's website... Not listed as Saab 92X fitment... Wheelspecs.com has no info besides the 17x7 RK weighing less than 18lbs.

http://www.tirerack.com/images/wheels/bbs/swap/bbs_rk_bs_ci3_l.jpg

Or are you thinking of putting these on? (OE 92X wheel, also 17x7, looks like the same center cap, so BBS cap or Subaru cap to fit BBS wheels might fit fine, but don't take that as certain.)

http://www.saabcatalog.com/retail/images/family/big/92X_16_B.jpg

BTW, there is somebody on ebay selling RK-IIs (2-peice bolted together) for a Saab 9-5. 17x7.5, 5x100, but no reference to offset... one wonders if those would fit...

I'll order this week either the BBS RK one-piece wheels at $141 or the Fox D5 at $75. Can't decide which to get.

Now the challenge is getting winter tires. There seem to be only two 215/45-18 winter tires, Bridgestone LM-22 and Dunlop, M3, both at silly prices. The 17" tire with the same diameter is 215/50-17. It's hard to find an HR or a VR winter tire in that size. I may have to accept an all-season tire and hope for the best.

I was going to suggest Vredestein Wintrac Extreme, but the sizes aren't *quite* what you are looking for

http://www.vredestein.com/autobanden/index.asp

205/50-17

225/50-17 or

215/55-17

Or 45-series tires in 215*, 225, 235, and 245. Some of those are close (slightly shorter, taller, narrower or wider) but the one size, 215/50, isn't in the list. (*-OEM LGT size, but not same as Spec B -1 sizing.)

If you want 18", these come in 40 series widths: 225, 235, 245; and 45 series: 225, and 245.

All are V rated, and silica compounded for temps below 40 degrees F, and I have seen good reviews of these tires, even on a Legacy GT Wagon, but can't recall the magazine title at the moment.

The 17" tire with the same diameter is 215/50-17. It's hard to find an HR or a VR winter tire in that size. I may have to accept an all-season tire and hope for the best.

the 215-50-17 is actually smaller than your stock tires by .1". The size I listed above is an identical match in OD and is suitable for use on 7.5" rims and with your suspension.

A disadvantage to 235/40-18 winter tires is that the wide tread lessens traction in snow. The narrower, the better, for grip in snow, on snow, and on ice. My Audi A6 4.2 had 40-series tires. I drove very, very carefully on potholed roads.

Your comments are indeed welcome! I prefer 17" wheels and tires, but 17" V-rated winter tires are very difficult to come by. My local tire store is trying to find four Dunlop M3 in size 215/50VR17. If he's unsuccessful, then I will have to buy 18" Blizzak LM-22 winter tires for the spec.B's wheels or four all-season tires for 17" wheels, which are easy to find. By the way, I used to live near Minneapolis.

A disadvantage to 235/40-18 winter tires is that the wide tread lessens traction in snow. The narrower, the better, for grip in snow, on snow, and on ice. My Audi A6 4.2 had 40-series tires. I drove very, very carefully on potholed roads.

40 only refers to the ratio. A 245/35/18 has as much sidewall as a 215/40/18.

I understand the point about width and had planned to do 215/40/18's on my car for winter for the same reason. But, we don't get that much snow around here, so the extra footprint is useful for everyday driving. At the point the width makes a difference, you probably should be driving something with more ground clearance.

I 'high-sided' my '02 Wrangler after 20 ft of driving in the '03 blizzard here....even 30" tires and 10" of ground clearance weren't enough to get me out onto the roads.

Archived