LegacyGT.com

Clutch shudder shifting into 1st.

Just noticed a shudder when shifting into 1st. Seems fine otherwise with no clutch slippage. Not much has changed recently except a lot of rain, slight drop in temps and a recent inspection I was told my tranny is "sweating." The clutch was replaced 34,000k ago so I don't think it's a bad clutch. Any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure who told you or what they meant by "sweating".. Perhaps clarification on that? Leaking from the axle? Oil leaking from the weep between the bell housing and back of block (rear main)?

Typically shudder under load is due to a poor or glazed mating surface with the flywheel/pressure plate. If it's weeping oil from the rear main, that's likely the culprit.

Otherwise, check your engine/trans mounts for excessive wear/slop.

GL

Thanks again. I'm going to have that looked at. I believe the clutch is good. The clutch does seem to have some distance between partial engagement to full engagement when I lift off the pedal. I don't know what is normal for the car. I did do the clutch test of putting it into 3rd gear from a stop and releasing the clutch to see if it stalls right away. It did. So perhaps that's merely an adjustment though I suppose it may be related to the issue mentioned above too.