LegacyGT.com

Does your steering wheel clunk?

My steering wheel clunks around on rough terrain. It's not terrible but it's very noticeable. There's no audible noise coming from any front end components, it's just in the steering wheel/column. My buddy took it for a drive and said not to worry its normal. But I don't know.. It seems wrong, but, I've also never driven a subie before this one. The car is a 2002 legacy 2.5 N/A. 230k kms. I know one front cv axle has a busted boot, but there's no sound coming from that area ever so I don't think it's related? Am I worried about nothing?

My steering doesn't clunk.

Clunk usually indicates two parts that are not fitting or fastening together correctly.

Are you talking about a rotational thing or something else?

No it's not rotational, the column kind of feels like it's moving up and down slightly. Doesn't matter if I'm turning or going straight.. It almost feels worse if I'm not turning, hard to say though.

I can think of two things that might do what you describe. The steering rack fastens to the cross member with two brackets and these have rubber bushings in them. Could be the rubber is done so that the rack can move a little. That feeling could go right up the column to you. That would also lead to vague and inaccurate steering to some extent.

The other idea that doesn't seem likely is that the column has come loose from what ever it mounts to in the bottom of the dash. I should know what that looks like from taking the column out of my parts car, but I can't picture it.

I would see if you can get under the car on ramps or straddling a ditch and have someone steer back and forth so you can watch if the rack moves relative to the cross member.

Besides OE bushings, there are stiffer after market versions. You can get tighter steering at the cost of some NVH.

I can think of two things that might do what you describe. The steering rack fastens to the cross member with two brackets and these have rubber bushings in them. Could be the rubber is done so that the rack can move a little. That feeling could go right up the column to you. That would also lead to vague and inaccurate steering to some extent.

The other idea that doesn't seem likely is that the column has come loose from what ever it mounts to in the bottom of the dash. I should know what that looks like from taking the column out of my parts car, but I can't picture it.

I would see if you can get under the car on ramps or straddling a ditch and have someone steer back and forth so you can watch if the rack moves relative to the cross member.

Besides OE bushings, there are stiffer after market versions. You can get tighter steering at the cost of some NVH.

Okay thanks for the idea. I have noticed at hwy speeds the steering feels a bit washy. Almost like wind is pushing me around slightly. I'll lift the car up and take a look if it moves in a way it shouldn't, thanks! Do you know what those bushings would be called if that's the issue? Or a part # or something.

I"m not sure of the official name for them. I think you should be able to find them looking for "steering rack mount bushings". It's been two or three years since I did mine so I've lost all the papers by now so not even a part number. I don't even recall if I got them from Subaru or from Napa.

I"m not sure of the official name for them. I think you should be able to find them looking for "steering rack mount bushings". It's been two or three years since I did mine so I've lost all the papers by now so not even a part number. I don't even recall if I got them from Subaru or from Napa.

No worries, I'll check it out thanks