LegacyGT.com

Rebuild HELP

Ladies and Gents,

I'm wondering/hoping someone on here, reading this, would be willing to dedicate a weekend or time needed to start and finish a short block swap, replacing some old parts to. Can be a nice way for you to make some side $$$. I've done my research and talked with a few members on what to get. Made a list and financially ready to start ordering. I want to find someone who's been there, done that and willing to offer there time and knowledge. I don't want to just bring it to a shop and have them do all the work, i'm a Subaru enthusiast, with mechanic skills. Don't want to tackle this alone, using youtube videos. I plan to reach out to a few more places for help, had a start on here, hoping to find a another LGT owner willing to help save a LGT and make a new friend...maybe! Feel free to message me or comment, if you're interested!! Located North Jersey

Thanks!!

Edited by Bryan322

Tehnation,

Thanks for getting back. I want to replace my short block with EJ257 short block and replace a few other parts while I'm under the hood. Have a list of everything i plan to get, want to see if i can find help, before i start buying. It'll take me a few months to buy everything, so wouldn't be ready till early next year. Time is money so I would plan to pay for your time, at a price we work out.

so your swapping the shortblock without getting the heads rebuilt? If your in north nj you should give Charlie's Auto Machine in Pearl River, NY (rockland county) a call, excellent work at excellent prices. It would probably be more cost effective and overall just better to pay a professional to put together your longblock, instead of paying some amateur league players! It would save everyones time as well!

After you bolt the heads you have to readjust valve lashing and whatever... one thing I have never seen anyone do on this forum, or never mention is replacing the shortblock without rebuilding the heads... its just stupid not to at that point.

You don't mention goals or anything... your just buying parts??? for what? Are you on the path of POWER!?!?! or just another ham and egger stock build?

You don't need a second hand to build the longblock... thats something you can do yourself if you go that route, a second person won't make anything easier unless they are actually doing it for you or telling you what to do!

Pulling and installing the engine is what you really need a 2nd hand for! All that shit in between is on you ..... if you don't know what your doing, pay someone, otherwise your wasting a lot of peoples time to "possibly" get it right!

Thanks for response. Listen, I know this is a long shot, I'm a big Subaru enthusiast hoping to find a "been there done that" member to teach other how to fix...what seems to be a common issue for our subarus.

As for my "goals" I wanted to add more mechanical knowledge to my Subaru passion, not just be another ham and egger stock builder. Plan to do some tasteful mods, more STI type of part, I don't need to have this forums greatest, most powerful LGT! A fun, reliable car i can take out whenever and maybe add a few more subies to my collection. Truly want to learn how to work on these cars, as my hobby, pass my knowledge on to the next member to!! So i guess I am looking for someone to point fingers, give tips and help me through the rebuild. Just passing it onto a shop to do the rebuild, isn't worth it to me. I want to go through the tough/annoying, the good, bad and ugly times, bolts breaking part of any rebuild. I graduated with a automotive technology degree, but cars a passion of mine, not a career. Now that I've got me $hit together, in another field, i want to learn more with cars and being i'm a Subaru junkie. Learn on the car i already have, cheapest way for me to get that experience. Selling what I have, buying a new/er one, the issue will happens again though. Wouldn't say i don't know what i'm doing, although, i've never pulled an engine. I understand i would be sending to machine shop, wouldn't put new parts on old ones. There are enough videos out there of people doing so, working alone i wont move as quick, and well...little scared to. Once i get started it'll stay where it is until I figure it out, which is why id like someone to be there for guidance.

I'm a big fan 2000ish GC models, but they'er getting old Id' either need a swap/engine work or i'd be buying someones build. I know i am dreaming, not trying to waste anyones time. Sorry...I am not an author, i may not be expressing myself properly, but I had to ask. Doing it myself seems like that's how itll go. Thanks for your honesty!