LegacyGT.com

Boost problems related to pcv system?

I am chasing a weird boost leak of some sort, I have smoke tested it at a shop and I boost tested it tonight with a homemade tester with no success. I have gone through and read a lot of post on boost leak testing and I have tried multiple methods.

Current setup is a 2008 LGT sedan, jdm EJ20X longblock with USDM intake and electronics, Perrin turbo inlet, cobb sf, grimmspeed tmic, jdm twinscroll vf44 (i think is the model number) and full cattless exhaust, dechsworks fuel pump, AEM wideban 02 in the downpipe.

Issues im having with the LGT are that I am getting a boost leak when I am at WOT and feels funny other times when its still in vacuum. My tuner had me install a AEM wideban so he could get more accurate o2 readings. Whenever I am WOT the AEM wideban goes maxed out rich and lean, its random. But my front o2 is reading 11 or 12 at WOT. Also I am having excessive oil coming out of my cam seals leaking out of my timing belt cover. I changed all 4 cam seals and its still leaking, could I possible have my pcv system hooked up wrong? And if im having trouble building boost could it be causing excessive crank case pressure?

I see an Ej25 in your future.

What do you mean "no success" with the smoke test? No leaks, couldn't build pressure?

What did the shop say when it was there?

What did the tuner say?

I had my tuners trusted shop perform a smoke test and no visible leaks. He also did a fuel pressure test that check out good.

My tuner said that I need to resolve the boost leak at WOT before he will do anymore tuning at WOT. Car drives good on highway and around town.

What would cause my cam seals to leak after i replaced them? To much crankcase pressure?

I do not know much about the EJ20x motors, but just reading the oil stuff, I think you have something worse wrong. I would get it in to a true subie shop to have it looked at.

The EJ20x is the JDM motor for the LGT that has a higher compression ratio and some stronger internals. It does come with duel avcs and i do have the exhaust avcs unplugged do to the USDM wiring harness does not come with those plugs.

• 2 weeks later...
I actually surprisingly have the same setup with a ej205 jdm swap and the vf44 turbo (although my turbo is currently stuck at 7psi at WOT) if anyone could help with that it would be much appreciated (PM me), also what we did is put permatex around the exhaust cam gears because the bottom cam had 4 holes instead of the 2 it was supposed to have, and we havent had any oil issues but we only have 370 miles on the new engine at this point!

Have you got the PCV valve in place? Could have things hooked up wrong so that boost pressure is being pushed into the heads causing the cam seals leaking.

May be worth drawing up a quick diagram of how you have everything plumbed up

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

another ej20 with issues....

u guys should probably learn Japanese and start reading Japanese forums because I don't see many people getting any results on this forum when it comes to ej20 issues. Probably nasioc would have better answers.