LegacyGT.com

Slew of electrical problems, maybe caused by ants

1997 2.5GT 5 speed. So just a little backstory, my positive battery terminal has had a weak connection for about a year or so, and sometimes required me to put pressure on the rubber boot while someone starts the car (unsafe I know.) Earlier this summer, the idle was rough because of an EGR flow fault, and when coasting, the speedo would drop to zero and the abs light would intermittently turn on. These problems stopped when I replaced the EGR valve.

Two weeks ago, while driving at around 15 mph, the car totally died, including all lights, electrical systems, and engine. I pulled over and stuffed a sharp piece of metal in between the (+) terminal and terminal clamp. This solved the issue.

Flash forward to now, I've needed to jump the car twice in the past week to start it (solenoid clicking), and when coasting, especially if in neutral, the speedo and tach may drop to zero, snapping back to the correct reading if I blip the gas. The ABS light also is turning on and off again intermittently with the speedo and tach, and while playing music, there is interference/static in the audio.

Last time I jumped it, I also noticed that ants had taken up residence on the right side of the engine compartment, near the fusebox and battery. Could they have contributed to these issues? It seems obvious that I should also replace the battery and terminal clamps in addition to exterminating the ants. Could there be other lasting damage?

Edited by willisdaye

I really doubt ants could have caused that. 90% of electrical issues are caused by bad grounds (I made up that number) But I'd go get yourself a can of electrical cleaner and some scotchbrite and spend an hour or so disconnecting every single electrical connector and ground wire you can find. Disconnect and spray out the connectors and scrub the grounds. And while you are doing this, have the battery out of the car on charge. If your issue still persists, then start looking to replace components as CELS determine. Also replace your positive battery clamp.

It may be obvious, but have you checked the age of your battery? Also, you could buy a cheap multimeter and at least check the DC voltage at the battery to see if the alternator is charging. Corroded grounding points are always a likely culprit for things like this as well.

Probably not the ants.