LegacyGT.com

losing power after installing cobb stage two tune

my car is mostly stock with an invidia catless downpipe, and a muffler delete. after putting the stage two 93 ATv300 hwg tune on it, it is only getting 5 pounds of boost but the target should be 16.5 im not sure if its a boost leak because once i restore it to the original factory tune it feels like theres more boost. could this have to do with any of the exhaust modifications ive made?

That's kind of an odd one. I don't think I've seen people post with this problem yet. Stage 2 is a aftermarket downpipe and generally speaking its smart to have at least the k&n drop in filter. If you go to Cobb's site you can download a stage 0 tune. It's a stock tune that allows you to still use the function of the accessport and log things. I'd say try that and then check how much boost your building on stage 0 vs stage 2

I wonder if you blew off a vaccum hose

Oh yeah that's a really good one, i agree with max try checking for vacuum leaks. I use starting fluid and spray it carefully around various vacuum lines and listen for a change in pitch of rpms. Might not be the most effective way but it's worked for me so far

That's kind of an odd one. I don't think I've seen people post with this problem yet. Stage 2 is a aftermarket downpipe and generally speaking its smart to have at least the k&n drop in filter. If you go to Cobb's site you can download a stage 0 tune. It's a stock tune that allows you to still use the function of the accessport and log things. I'd say try that and then check how much boost your building on stage 0 vs stage 2

was looking around for a bit and i couldnt find an 06 oem tune only an 07

Surprised no one has stated the obvious....You will need a tune with an ebcs (not ots).

The Cobb ots stage 2 is meant for a catted downpipe as that is all that cobb offers . I’m guessing you went with hwg to try and compensate for the extra flow of catless?

Please don’t run anything below stage 2 as a tune at this point especially if you plan on applying any boost.

If I had to guess I think your waste gate is hung up on the divider inside the bellmouth of the downpipe (I believe the Invidia dp you’re using is a divorced type) I’ve heard of people over boosting because it can’t open and the divider needs to be clearanced so it would make sense that it could possibly catch and get stuck open.

Edit: Also... start logging!

Edited by DaveWaters

you have applied a stage 2 tune to a vehicle that doesn't have all the necessary stage 2 parts yet, that is why you are under boosting. The stage 2 map from Cobb is meant to be run on their boost control solenoid. Cobb's boost solenoid is not the same as the Subaru solenoid.

It is 100% to do with the tune, and your inability to read the map notes to see what parts are needed for that tune. May I suggest you brush up on the map notes on Cobb's website?

you have applied a stage 2 tune to a vehicle that doesn't have all the necessary stage 2 parts yet, that is why you are under boosting. The stage 2 map from Cobb is meant to be run on their boost control solenoid. Cobb's boost solenoid is not the same as the Subaru solenoid.

It is 100% to do with the tune, and your inability to read the map notes to see what parts are needed for that tune. May I suggest you brush up on the map notes on Cobb's website?

Actually he has what is necessary for an ots cobb stage 2 tune except the catted downpipe.

There is no hardware requirement for ebcs with stage 2. Please post where you saw that as I can find no reference to it.

There is though a catted turbo back exhaust requirement. Because he’s catless the exhaust will flow even better than a catted dp and the ots tune won’t account for that.

Something is not right. List all your mods. Was the car modded at all when you bought it? Did it show evidence of being modded? Did you replace vac hoses?

I’d put back the stock boost controller asap and make sure the restrictor pill is in the correct spot. Also for now I’d flash the ecu with the cobb stage 2 that came on your AP. Hold off on the wastegate variant for now. If anything you may need a lwg flash due to overboosting. Do you have a heat shield on the turbo? If so take it off for now while diagnosing the problem. I really dont think the problem is tune related unless the stage 2 you’re using is somehow not right for your car... where did you source the hwg tune? You are reflashing the ecu not doing a real-time flash right?

If you havent already I’d populate the AP gauges with boost, af1 correction, af1 learning, fine learned knock correction , feedback knock correction , and DAM.

Cobbs website has great info on why watching each of those is important.

Take it easy on the car till this is worked out. I’d hate to see you join the ranks of ynansb

Edit: btw what year is this car?

Edited by DaveWaters

Something is not right. List all your mods. Was the car modded at all when you bought it? Did it show evidence of being modded? Did you replace vac hoses?

I’d put back the stock boost controller asap and make sure the restrictor pill is in the correct spot. Also for now I’d flash the ecu with the cobb stage 2 that came on your AP. Hold off on the wastegate variant for now. If anything you may need a lwg flash due to overboosting. Do you have a heat shield on the turbo? If so take it off for now while diagnosing the problem. I really dont think the problem is tune related unless the stage 2 you’re using is somehow not right for your car... where did you source the hwg tune? You are reflashing the ecu not doing a real-time flash right?

If you havent already I’d populate the AP gauges with boost, af1 correction, af1 learning, fine learned knock correction , feedback knock correction , and DAM.

Cobbs website has great info on why watching each of those is important.

Take it easy on the car till this is worked out. I’d hate to see you join the ranks of ynansb

Edit: btw what year is this car?

It's a 2006 and there were no mods when I bought and every thing on it right now is the invidia divorced catless down pipe, a muffler delete, and the ecbs I just put on today.

You aren't following the instructions whatsoever.

Nowhere in the MAP notes for stage 2 tunes for your vehicle does it state that it is compatible with a catless DP or any EBCS other than stock.

You are asking for trouble by installing random parts, loading random tunes, and making pulls.