LegacyGT.com

Clunking Rattle from Rear Under Acceleration

Happens every time I step on the gas enough to get the car going then goes away. Same when going straight or turning. Exhaust seems to be hanging normally. I noticed the rubber is cracked on a bushing on the rear diff mounting bracket but otherwise looks ok (although oily, cant find where the oil is coming from). Could this bushing be causing the noise?

Well I tried wiggling the drive shaft around but didn't feel play at the u joints. I did find that the center carrier bearing moved about half an inch up and down like the rubber is old and worn out. I'm gonna try filling it with outdoor silicone this weekend and see if it goes away. Oh and I also changed the rear diff fluid to see if there were any chunks on the magnet and there were not.

You'll need to replace the drive shaft. That carrier bearing is shot.

Check in here for drive shafts Or go OEM. I did that for my wagon a few years back.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/idea-web-links-saved-various-parts-219238.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Happens every time I step on the gas enough to get the car going then goes away. Same when going straight or turning. Exhaust seems to be hanging normally. I noticed the rubber is cracked on a bushing on the rear diff mounting bracket but otherwise looks ok (although oily, cant find where the oil is coming from). Could this bushing be causing the noise?

The bushings on the differential cradle are oil filled. I caught the problem early, but the cradle itself was rotted so that may need replacement as well. Have a sniff of the oil. If it's gear oil from the diff it'll smell of sulfur. If the oil leaves stains on the driveway which refuse to go away, it's likely the bushings.

Well after filling the center bearing rubber with some silicone stuff the noise is gone but there is a nasty vibration between 20-30mph. I guess that didn't work. I saw a video on youtube of someone replacing the center bearing on a driveshaft but it probably wasn't a subaru. I'm guessing my only realistic option of fixing it with common hand tools is to get a used or new replacement rear driveshaft assembly? I'm looking at new subaru's now but might have to fix this in order to get a reasonable offer on the car.

In JmP's sticky up top there are a thread or two about replacing the Propeller shaft with a after market one with the carrier bearing.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/idea-web-links-saved-various-parts-219238.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here