LegacyGT.com

Brake rotors - dark vertical lines

Hey all.

I recently bought my first Subaru - a 2005 Legacy Wagon 2.5. It's been well cared for by a family member, and has about 140,000km.

The mechanic who did the insurance inspection noted that the brake pads would need to be replaced soon. He did not mention anything about the rotors, but it was a quick inspection.

While driving on the highway last week I braked down from around 120-125 km/hr and the steering wheel kind of shuddered. I thought it might be the road, but it happened a few more times. Braking from a slower speed didn't produce the same dramatic results ... but my wife thinks there's a little vibration.

I don't have a micrometer to measure the rotors, but I took a look and noticed some dark vertical lines (running from the center to the edge) on the front rotors (not on the back). Here are photos (I couldn't attach to this message for some reason:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vN4uZvP5RZthZT2w5

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hZ3q3hf98XBa9gEa9

I was going to order brake pads from Amazon, but might order a kit that comes with rotors and pads all around.

They are Max brand ceramics: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00NJ6IFFO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_10?smid=A2603KOY559FTB&psc=1

I'd appreciate any thoughts from other owners.

Thank you!

Seems to me like the vertical lines are just deposits of material from the pads, but hard to tell exactly from the pics. The rotors also have some grooves forming and decent amount of rust buildup on them. But I agree regardless, needs new rotors.

I've also never heard of that brand myself, but looking at that rust it seems like a good idea to spend the extra money on a kit with coated rotors.

My first thought even without seeing them is cracks.

There is a re-bedding process you can do that in most cases will clean the pad deposits for the rotors. Those deposits can cause the steering wheel to shimmy when you hit the brakes at speed.

Google the process.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=KEVmXbfQDoK7ggeM34bgDA&q=how+to+re-bed+the+brakes&oq=how+to+re-bed+the+brakes&gs_l=psy-ab.3...29570.38447..39956...0.2..0.165.1022.10j1......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j0i13i30j0i30.Bwl574IymF4&ved=0ahUKEwi3hIWmnKXkAhWCneAKHYyvAcwQ4dUDCAs&uact=5

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I wouldn't be worried about the lines at all, but I'd definitely replace the rotors with the pads regardless. I'm pretty sure I've always noticed lines like those on my rotors, I always figured it was just pad deposits or something.

Some very quick pictures I took of my car just now.

rear.thumb.jpg.70ab82a28f565705a78ce070e1177c27.jpg

front.thumb.jpg.a5f7944cbe672d146e70de309038e652.jpg

Thanks all.

I live in Calgary, Alberta. So while I don't think it's the rust belt, wintertime certainly brings a lot of snow ... and there are chemicals they spray on the roads to get rid of the snow.

Sounds like the consensus is getting coated rotors. I'd never heard of them before, but just moved back to Canada after a decade + in the tropics.

I was thinking Raybestos coated rotors and either Raybestos or Bendix copper-free ceramic pads.

Good choice? I read that Centrics aren't so good these days.

Thanks again for all the great advice!

PS - the Max brake kit I was looking at gets good ratings on Amazon (for other car models). But don't think the rotors are coated.