LegacyGT.com

Crank pulley

Looks like I’ve got some wobble on my 05 GT’s crank pulley so I want to replace it. What are the options? Stock probably going to be expensive, is my best bet still a grimmspeed or Perrin solid pulley? Haven’t been researching much lately but remember mixed reviews on light weight crank pullies from months/years ago. Car is all stock just a daily driver. No need for crazy priced options. Doesn’t have to be cheapest or most expensive unit, just want a good, reliable, unit.

Thank you,

Anything is better than a pulley about to fall apart. Best is to replace it before it destroys other parts around it.

Solid units might cause the engine to become more rough and be noisier as well as increase wear on some components, but they will work.

453747.png

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like the fluidampr is the unit to get judging by info on this site and NASIOC. I think $300+ is a bit much for a pulley but I guess that's just the price of the ticket for admission to the party. Stock is still an option and I'll call my local dealer today when they open to see if they have one in stock and what it costs. Current one lasted 14 years and 110,000 miles, so another 100,000 should see it through the end of my ownership of the car. Either way I'll stay away from the solid, light weight, pullies.

infosecdad: Thank you for the offer but I'd rather stick with something new. Money isn't the issue so once I call the dealer I'll know if I'm ordering stock or the fluidampr from Summit.

Stock would be your best bet IMO.

Better dampening qualities than a solid pulley and the fluidampr is going to be overkill for a stock engine.

Plus you will have to trim your timing cover a bit to run the fluidampr. I'd say just buy used but if money is no concern then new OEM would be preferable.

Thanks again guys. I went to my local Subaru dealer yesterday on lunch and ordered a stock replacement pulley. $165 and should be in today or Friday. Hopefully the pulley comes off easily, same dealer had to take it off to do the timing belt 2 years ago, hope the tech didn't go crazy with over-torquing bolt.

i think the fluidampr is better than stock as well. it's just a better design. it has even better dampening than the stock pulley, which will decrease knock... less knock is better in any application imo. it will make the motor quieter as well by eating up all vibration.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fluidampr-crank-pulleys-02-wrx-sti-05-lgt-04-fxt-200872.html

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fluidmpr-crank-pulleys-ej-and-fa-motors-252959.html

"Normal stock dampers wear out and engine performance upgrades increase naturally occurring harmful crankshaft torsional vibrations. Install a Fluidampr viscous damper to reduce wear on the main bearings and timing gear, achieve more accurate valvetrain operation and lower the risk of crank failure. Unlike rubber based dampers, Fluidampr automatically adapts to any engine modifications and constantly self-tunes in real time to protect across the entire RPM range. Features precision machined and computer balanced components that never need to be tuned or rebuilt."

stock or not it will help the motor.

Edited by Tehnation

Well I guess the day is almost here now. Driving the car today and I had no AC so I thought I’d check the compressor to make sure the clutch was engaging. There I found my 4rib AC belt had been ground down to 2rib and was jammed behind the crank and compressor pullies. Damaged the compressor clutch plug and eroded a line in the middle timing belt cover. I’ve got and new cover on order off amazon and Subaru has re-ordered a crank pulley as the first one had a small chip on the face of the pulley. I am going away until next week so plenty of time for parts to come in and the pulley to not fail more. Luckily it doesn’t look like the belt digging through the cover affected the timing belt or components.

• 8 months later...
More info on the Fluidampr. Not an EJ application but pretty illustrative.

I like this concept, and it isn't new. Aviation horizontally opposed ICE use a crankshaft that has extra floating weights on each counterbalance. It's far more mass than you could ever fit in a pulley. To be fair those engines were 6 cyl with 4" bores and a huge turbo. Pretty cool stuff.

543989015_Screenshot_20200418-1255182.thumb.png.0f05a019097bd88bc71df0d7d154c68f.png