LegacyGT.com

Starting Fluid Levels - 2019 3.6R

Hi everyone, first post, but I have been lurking for a while. I recently bought a new 2019 Legacy 3.6R and have about 4,500 miles on it. Couple weeks ago when I was just cleaning under the hood I noticed that the coolant reservoir had a yellow line on it (above the Full line), which I thought was odd, I checked the levels, but continued what I was doing. I opened the hood today and saw that my coolant level was in the middle between the Full and Low line - which seems much lower than I remember.

Does anyone know what levels new cars are typically filled to at the dealerships? I am mildly concerned that I am losing significant coolant at only 5,000 miles on the car - even if the car was filled to just the Full line and not the mysterious yellow line, that is a large drop.

Thanks everyone!

Adam

Hi everyone, first post, but I have been lurking for a while. I recently bought a new 2019 Legacy 3.6R and have about 4,500 miles on it. Couple weeks ago when I was just cleaning under the hood I noticed that the coolant reservoir had a yellow line on it (above the Full line), which I thought was odd, I checked the levels, but continued what I was doing. I opened the hood today and saw that my coolant level was in the middle between the Full and Low line - which seems much lower than I remember.

Does anyone know what levels new cars are typically filled to at the dealerships? I am mildly concerned that I am losing significant coolant at only 5,000 miles on the car - even if the car was filled to just the Full line and not the mysterious yellow line, that is a large drop.

Thanks everyone!

Adam

First welcome to the forum.. Not sure if this is your first Subaru or not but Subies tend to lose coolant over time.. On the reservoir there is a low line and full line.. Usually when it's stone cold it can sit between the lines and as the car warms up the fluid will rise.. So as long as it's not Bone Dry your good and if you take it to the dealer for oil changes they should top it off to the proper level.. But also mention it to them that you think it might be using coolant so they can Document it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply! I checked this morning while cold and the coolant was just slightly below the Low line. I will have to make sure it's documented.

Definitely concerned there's an issue at such a low mileage. I noticed acceleration can sometimes be extremely poor starting from a stop. I may have to stop by the dealer and ask to compare to matching Legacy.

Thanks for the reply! I checked this morning while cold and the coolant was just slightly below the Low line. I will have to make sure it's documented.

Definitely concerned there's an issue at such a low mileage. I noticed acceleration can sometimes be extremely poor starting from a stop. I may have to stop by the dealer and ask to compare to matching Legacy.

Congrats and Welcome aboard! The CVT is different than a traditional automatic - initial acceleration is lethargic, even in the 3.6r. But good to have someone check it out to make sure all is working correctly.

1. cars are vacuum filled at the factory

2. the yellow line may have been the initial fill point to allow for any remaining air to be purged and coolant comes to proper level after a few start/stop cycles.

3. your cooling system is sealed, cars do not "lose" coolant over time unless it is getting out.

I have 2 subaru and i have had to add coolant only when I have worked on said car...the coolant loos due to the overflow tank is minimal at best since the hot coolant is pressurized and sealed in a closed system. If the pressure goes above the setpoint the rad cap will let some out as needed and when the system cools down, it will be drawn back in..

If you are having to add every few months something is W R O N G with the car and the first place I would look is at the radiator cap. next would be any hose were it connects to the rad/block/etc. If you heater core had even the slightest leak you would notice it right away (smell) and fogged windows with a slimy film on them..

best acceleration with the CVT is to roll into the throttle to minimize the rubber band effect

Edited by YeuEmMaiMai

Factory coolant fill on my 2018 3.6R was a little below the full mark so I bought some coolant of the proper type and brought it up so I could remember where it was. Not necessary but it doesn't hurt to have it at the full mark. Also nice to have some coolant in the garage in case it needs a little in the future.

I am mildly concerned that I am losing significant coolant at only 5,000 miles on the car - even if the car was filled to just the Full line and not the mysterious yellow line, that is a large drop.

Adam

If it is convenient for you and helps your piece of mind, feel free to go to the dealer. Coolant lose is normal as the overflow container is not sealed/under pressure like the actual cooling system. If you live in a warm area or do a lot of highway driving, you would be more likely to experience more coolant loss than someone who takes shorter trips that don't get the car up to operating temperature for long.

As others have said, best just to buy a bottle and top it off anytime it hits the low mark when cold.

I personally lost around the amount of coolant it takes to fill from low to high over the first year of driving, and have lost about half that amount every subsequent year of driving.