LegacyGT.com

ej22 transplant question

new to this, so have patience. Will an 2.2 engine out of an automatic vehicle, swap over to be used in a manual?? Or is maybe the back of the block different. Asking because they always ask if I have auto or manual trans. Thx ahead of time for any help with my first scooby, that needs a motor replacement do to rod knock, since I don't beleive the solid lifter could clack like that.

Did get stethoscope, and sound seems to be coming from passenger side head center. Nut this is supposed to be the solid lifter engine, so don't think the lifters if out of adjustment would make that much noise. If I am wrong, please let me know... Car does have 190k on it and have no idea when they were adjusted last.

It is very quick to pull the rocker cover and check - what is the build date of the car/motor?

My 96' has roller rockers with hydraulic lash adjusters. About 3k miles ago I changed oil, t belt and resealed the front cover and rockers and everything. I developed a tick that got louder over the last few weeks - not dissimilar from a rod knock (didn't go away). I presume maybe a small piece of something (sealer/debris?) got stuck in an oil passage perhaps.

It was on the pass side so I popped the cover and pushed each HLA to see if there was any movement (air) and I didn't find ANY to budge at all which was a good thing. I still opted to take the rocker assy off and clean out every single HLA and found that each one was a little sticky and, despite my regular clean synthetic oil everywhere else, they had dark black oil coming out. After putting everything back together the tick is completely gone. This is not an atypical either, many have done this.

Subaru didn't have a hard cutoff of motor design between 96/97 (and other changeovers as well) for specific model years - it was based off of the build date and even then I don't know when that was. Your MY97 could have been built in the summer of 96' and have all the same components as a MY96 EJ22 with HLA just like mine. Best way to tell is to pop the 3 bolts on the pass side cover and check. If you see the adjustment nut and screw slot you know you have SLA and not HLA.

To answer your question, yes SLA can sound quite loud. If many are out of adjustment than it can sound like a sewing machine, if only a few or one than it can mimic a rod knock just like a HLA can. Does yours go away after being warmed up? When was the last time you changed the oil? Having any power loss or HG issues? Do you remember the timeline for which the tick developed? Anything noticeable precede the sound?

Edited by noahrexion

I also would do a lot of testing before I went to rod knock. My ej22 has 300,000 miles on it. My half of that was done at wot redline and I don't have any rod problems. Of course it's always been well cared for with oil changes and such. But 150,000 miles like it's a racecar would kill many other brands long ago.

My 97 was built 03/97 so it is right at yhat cutoff point. So yes I need to pull the valve cover and check. I bought the car cheap because of the loud clicking, and knowing about the tensioner problem was hoping I would be lucky. 1st thing I did was buy a complete timing kit, and take it to my mechanic to have it installed. First problem was that when he got it apart, it didn't have the big one piece tensioner it was supposed to have, but the 2 piece one with pencil 2 bolt style. This also makes me wonder if it's possible that this engine could have HLA's instead of SLA's????????

I am retired and live in an adult community where they frown on us working on our vehicles, but may have to try and pull the VC to find out. So don;t tell on me, OK?? LOL

Ok, just pulled the valve cover and it does have the SLA's. The oil was just replaces when timing belt, pulleys, w/p were replaced. Knocking is constant, warm or cold, and gets faster but not louder with the rise in RPM's. Seems to be on passenger side middle of the outer head. Does anyone think that if take back to my mechanic, and have him adjust the valves it might fix it??? He originally siad he thought it could be a wrist pin..fyi

This car is just to nice and runs to good to give up on, but my funds are limited, being retired. In fact, the ONLY thing wrong with the car is the clicking or knockingm which ever want to call it..