LegacyGT.com

Odd shaking at highway speed

I'll try to be brief but include necessary info....

In the past 3 months, I have done the following to my 05 LGT wagon:

New brake calipers all around, due to some odd shaking at all speeds. Did have the bolts on the front left caliper back out and drop out. That was a fun discovery (fortunately close to home at low speeds). My inside pad on the front left got a little chipped up on the friction surface - possible culprit of my problem?

Replaced 1 rim and tire (hit a giant pothole). Fortunately I bought 4 new late last year, so not much wear on the other 3 tires. Rim and tire are same make/model as the others.

New shocks (Koni), springs (Swift), front and rear sway bars (whiteline) and endlinks (whiteline). New front control arms (mevotech), new tie rod ends (unknown brand, didn't buy them myself), new rear lower control arms (megan racing) and AVO sway bar brackets.

After 2 alignments and some adjustments, the car rides and handles nicely. Aside from a few random squeaks, pretty satisfied.

The problem is once I get to about 90 kph (~ 55 mph) I start to get a shaky steering wheel. It's minor at that speed. Usually goes away after a short time, like a minute or so. At 100 kph (~ 60 mph) the shake is present and stays, and is consistent. After that up to 120 kph (~ 75 mph) the shake becomes incredibly odd and inconsistent/intermittent. This is what baffles me. On the highway at this speed, it will go from zero shake, to the steering wheel shaking a bit, to semi-violent shake, then will disappear and will feel a shaking in my seat. Then it will disappear for a time, then will come back, sometimes in the seat, sometimes in the steering wheel. Then it will change again.

When the new rim and tire were purchased, I had the other 3 balanced to ensure they were all fresh in that regard.

The roads in this area are quite frankly s**t. Everyday is an obstacle course of potholes and pavement heaves. Fortunately I have a short drive to work and back, and mostly that is what I do. But as the kids' hockey season approaches, hitting the highway will be more regular.

So, should I continue to look at wheel/suspension or is there something deeper that could be causing this odd behaviour?

I have only had this car since Nov 17, so I don't know it's history. Still under 159,000 kms (~ 100k miles) and in relatively decent shape for a car that has seen multiple Canadian winters.

Thanks for any insight you might have.

Edited by GearJamr

I have the exact same problem. Just had the wheels checked and Roadforce balanced, new front brakes, control arms and wheel bearings.

I've heard that the front axles can cause this especially if they are aftermarket.

I know I have one aftermarket axle I'm going to change out but my god is it an annoying problem.

I wondered about the axles. One of them being "off" could vibrate through the whole drivetrain. I did have the right front axle replaced about a year ago. Might be worth checking into.

All of my wheel hubs were replaced after the wheel was damaged, so hopefully they aren't the problem!

You say all wheel bearings were replaced that's good.

What brand bearings were used ?

I bought Moog. Came with a lot of good reviews from Subaru owners.

So with some futher "testing", I have found the steering wheel vibrates starting about 70 kph (~45 mph). No noticeable shake in the car, just the steering wheel minor vibration. Steering inputs seem to quell or induce the shaking. Going straight it's fine, then after turning right it starts to jiggle. Turning left seems to make it stop. Colour me confused. Possibly the turning of the axle in the knuckle is making it move in or out and becoming unstable?

With the axles being a possible problem, what is it about the aftermarket axles inducing problems?

Moogs on the front ? and your CC works ?

When I did a Moog on the front, the CC would not work, back in 2012.

Years back, I heard a clicking sound when taking off from a stop sign with the windows down. Had my trusted mechanic replace the left front a few month's before. So one day I stopped by his shop and said I think there's a issue with that axle, He said "does it make a clicking sound when you take off from a stop sign" Let me order a different brand and I'll replace it for you. They found out the length of some of them was too long.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Moogs on the front ? and your CC works ?

When I did a Moog on the front, the CC would not work, back in 2012.

Years back, I heard a clicking sound when taking off from a stop sign with the windows down. Had my trusted mechanic replace the left front a few month's before. So one day I stopped by his shop and said I think there's a issue with that axle, He said "does it make a clicking sound when you take off from a stop sign" Let me order a different brand and I'll replace it for you. They found out the length of some of them was too long.

No issues with the Moog thus far. Maybe they have made a design change.

Can't say I have heard any clicking noises, but I will give that a listen. Seems that replacement is best to go with OEM for the axles.

I heard the clicking when stopped at a intersection on back road, not anywhere there was a lot of noise around. Just trees and pavement. As the car began moving, I could hear it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Well, diagnosis was tires. One was out of balance by 3.5 oz. That is significant. They saw no sign of bent rim, so just really out of balance.

Haven't been able to get on the highway but at lower speeds where the wheel would start to shake it didn't on the way home, so fingers crossed. Will hit the highway for a short blast tomorrow. They said they took it "north of 120 (kph)" on a road test and no shake so hoping that was it.

Just such an odd manifestation for out of balance tires.