LegacyGT.com

Could this noise be a center diff? Or is the transmission toast?

Took it in to the shop, they're saying the noise is coming from the center diff but they would need to tear in to it to diagnose any further. But they haven't ever heard this noise before.

What do you guys think?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=13o3-tCmBpfVqqzHZR0phzNgRgsnC4U-9

Honestly... sounds like your heat shield from your exhaust vibrating. Just get under your car when it’s cold by the driver tire and you’ll see two exhaust shields. Just wiggle them and see if any are loose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn that sounds awful! I've heard some noises in cars but that is alarming. Am I hearing 2 noises? One in the back and one in the engine? The noise near the back sounds like muffler baffles coming apart. Under the hood, I couldn't begin to guess without being there. Can you isolate the area?

With the car not moving, the only thing in the tranny that is moving is the main shaft and bearings.

When you push in the clutch pedal dose the noise stop ?

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_25/manual_transmission/main_shaft/illustration_1/

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If that noise is coming from the transmission, you might need a trans...

With it not moving and in neutral, only certain things are rotating, the center diff is not one of them. Max is leading you the right direction, see what causes the noise to change and report back. I agree with 08SpecB, I have heard many noises, that one is horrible. Was there any noise leading up to it? Good luck

Thanks everybody for the replies!

The noise gets worse when the car moves. Pushing the clutch pedal in doesn't get it to stop.

This began slowly, and would only happen under a certain amount of boost while driving. It was repeatable but almost not noticeable unless you listened for it. Brought it to the shop, they had it up on a lift and could recreate it by holding the brakes and putting the engine under load that way.

It is now worse than ever, the shop thinks it is the center diff but the last couple times I've brought the car in they have thrown a part at it and sent me away, so I'm not putting much stock in their diagnosis.

Keep us posted... That really sounds like a heat shield, but I'm no pro. When my center diff was going bad, I would get a metallic clicking noise when turning, it didn't sound anything like yours. The noise was worse when the transmission was warm/hot. Almost always present in the late spring/summer, but took a little while to start in the winter.

With that said, maybe yours is just worse than mine was. The center diff isn't too hard to replace, but the diff is around $500, and I'm not sure how many hours of labor they'll charge you.. At least 2 probably.

*Also, I'd make sure all four tires are within 2/32" of each other, so that the new diff is happy.

**One more edit.. I wonder if it's one of these bearings near the center diff

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p318/FLCLgibson1968/image28_zpseb581eb4.jpeg

Image stolen from post #2 in this thread https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/legacy-2-5gt-center-differential-bearing-swap-204445.html

Edited by apexi

Thanks everybody for the replies!

The noise gets worse when the car moves. Pushing the clutch pedal in doesn't get it to stop.

This began slowly, and would only happen under a certain amount of boost while driving. It was repeatable but almost not noticeable unless you listened for it. Brought it to the shop, they had it up on a lift and could recreate it by holding the brakes and putting the engine under load that way.

It is now worse than ever, the shop thinks it is the center diff but the last couple times I've brought the car in they have thrown a part at it and sent me away, so I'm not putting much stock in their diagnosis.

Pushing in the clutch pedal disconnects the rotating engine, FW and Pressure Plate from the clutch. The clutch disc is splined to the input/main shaft of the tranny.

I don't see how the center diff rotates if the clutch is disengaged. I'm no tranny internal workings expert...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here