LegacyGT.com

Moon roof rattle?

My 2018 Legacy 3.6 had bad Moon roof rattles. Its happening when the car crossing the uneven pavement, cornering or uphill and downhill. It feels like is cause by the car chassis twisted by the road condition then Moon roof opening rubbing the Moon roof glass to cause that noise.

Its not a very loud noise, I won't hear anything if I had the Moon roof Liner/Slider cover closed. Unfortunately, I love sunlight. So, I had that liner opened at most of the time.

I had turned my car to warranty fix because of this concern. However, the service department said its just the nature of this vehicle.

Does anyone had the same experience or it just mine?

I am having this exact issue and had the service manager look into it , according to his own words he says that he was going to contact Subaru and should receive a response within two days. I hate yet to hear back from him.

There's been other issues with my 2018 that have recently surfaced, and I am really starting to wonder if this will be my last Subaru, it seems the build quality is going down .

I have a small noise from my roof, right at the back of the moon roof. It sounded like a loose wiring harness to me, but could be the same thing described here. I was going to get it checked out next time I have it in for service. I also have a squeaky front passenger-side seat belt pretensioner (best guess). Acceleration/deceleration causes an almost imperceptible noise from the passenger-side B-pillar.

Not sure if this will be my last Subaru based on some noises. Every Subaru I've owned, except for the BRZ has had minor noises. Heck, every car I've ever owned has had noises aside from the BRZ. I am more concerned about the longevity of the powertrain (CVT/F-series engines).

I am having this exact issue and had the service manager look into it , according to his own words he says that he was going to contact Subaru and should receive a response within two days. I hate yet to hear back from him.

There's been other issues with my 2018 that have recently surfaced, and I am really starting to wonder if this will be my last Subaru, it seems the build quality is going down .

Yes, I do have a stack of warranty repair receipts too. From dash rattles, squeaky seat(repaired once already) to moon roof. Subaru Quality control definitely going down.

I m not comparing it with others. I do own multiple Subaru Car in the past.

2019 sport here, no issues yet, although I only have 2700mi on it... but then again, I live in Philly and drive the nation's worst roads in PA, NJ, NY, DE, MD, DC, VA... So we'll see!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

LOL all I know all about it I work close to Roosevelt Ave NE Philly commuting 100 miles every day from Delaware, so the car is being QC Checked Daily LOL don't worry LegacyGT Community I will do all the testing for you guys and gals :lol:

Here's an uploaded video that I recorded recently with the moonroof rattle.

-

-

-

Edited by Skyboss-alpha1

Moonroof rattles are common between all brands.

Mine has little rattle when going over rough bumps, not that bad IMO

I'm being honest with you I haven't had a single vehicle that I previously on the header moonroof rattle this is a rattle that gets louder at times and is constant

LOL all I know all about it I work close to Roosevelt Ave NE Philly commuting 100 miles every day from Delaware, so the car is being QC Checked Daily LOL don't worry LegacyGT Community I will do all the testing for you guys and gals :lol:

Here's an uploaded video that I recorded recently with the moonroof rattle.

-

-

-

That is definitely way worse than mine.

I'm being honest with you I haven't had a single vehicle that I previously on the header moonroof rattle this is a rattle that gets louder at times and is constant

Definitely get it checked out with Subaru and hope they can come up with a solution ASAP.

• 2 weeks later...
A quick little update so the dealership service manager has informed me that he still waiting to hear from the Subaru engineer. In the meantime however this morning I took it upon myself to further investigate, it seems to me that there is a rubber accordion in our moonroofs if I play around with it I can replicate the sound so it's too early to tell if this is actually was causing the issue in my case but I went ahead and removed it and I will do a little trial and see if this is actually what is causing the issue, I also tightened the T25 hex screws on the moonroof.

A quick little update so the dealership service manager has informed me that he still waiting to hear from the Subaru engineer. In the meantime however this morning I took it upon myself to further investigate, it seems to me that there is a rubber accordion in our moonroofs if I play around with it I can replicate the sound so it's too early to tell if this is actually was causing the issue in my case but I went ahead and removed it and I will do a little trial and see if this is actually what is causing the issue, I also tightened the T25 hex screws on the moonroof.

These are exactly what the dealership done on my moonroof rattle complaints and which is useless. Now, I have to use engine oil to lube around the rubber seal that around the piece of glass every time after my car wash. I do not agree that any service agents making statements “this is the nature of the car” to end the complaints. Will any customer feel like to spending their money to buy a noise Legacy?No, I don’t think so. If customer willing to pay for a noisy car, why not WRX? It’s cheaper and with more power. Well, I just I feel hopeless to have Subaru dealership to fix warranty works. Honestly, this will be my last Subaru, their quality Sucks.