LegacyGT.com

07 spec B 145k miles

Kess13

Hello all,

I’m knew to the forum and looking to get into my first Subaru coming from a Hyundai Veloster Rspec. I found a 07 spec B locally with 145k miles, after market intake, forged inter cooler, invidia exhaust, and blowoff valve. That’s all I could tell at least. It puffed some grey smoke at start up but nothing after running it or getting on it during the test drive.

The clutch is much heavier than I’m used to but the 6spd shifted smoothly, pulled well, and idled fine with the occasional blip. It has the wear and tear you expect at that age but the seats are in great shape. I thought they were comfortable and I liked the alcantara insert. Rear bumper cover damage but nothing I couldn’t deal with for a bit. Also, the b spec wheels were changed out with regular gt wheels for some reason.

I enjoyed driving it and it fits me better than the wrx. But I don’t like the obnoxious exhaust (getting older) and I’m terrified of what I don’t know as there is no service history available. They offered a 3 month warranty. Thoughts? What should I worried about? I would intend to make this a long term car so is this worth it or go for stock lgt with less miles? Thanks all!

You're rightly terrified. These cars become unexpected money pits for plenty of folks who buy them without properly going through the condition of the car.

If I were you, I'd insist at least on datalogging the car and checking compression myself, making sure the the turbo isn't on the verge of failure or hasn't been replaced recently, and doing a thorough inspection of the engine and trans for leaks.

There is also a brake line junction on these cars, by the rear passenger wheel in a pocket ahead of the fuel tank, that rusts badly because of its location. There was a recall for this, which proved to be ineffective. There's a plastic cover with a little inspection window you can use to check on it.

If all of that is out of the question for you, I'd at least insist on bringing it to a dealer who knows these cars for a pre-purchase inspection. If I bought the car, first thing I'd be doing is dropping the downpipe to confirm the condition of the turbo.

Might help to post up your location, or a link to the ad for the car.

The smoke on start-up is the biggest concern. A compression test might rule out concerns with the land rings, heads, etc, but then there's still concern about the turbo.

9/10 people would walk away

https://www.eliteautogroup.us/used-2007-SUBARU-LEGACY-SEDAN-GT-Spec-B-fredericksburg-virginia-22406/vd/212230

Here is the ad. Thank you for the responses, I appreciate it. Makes me feel better that I backed away, I just saw a spec b and got excited. Thanks for the tip on things to watch for as well. I'd be happy to drop the dough inspecting a car that I was over the moon for but I'm sure I'd be spending quite a bit to get this one back to stock. Sounds like with all the potential issues even $7k isn't a price that I shouldn't pass up. This forum is great and hopefully I'll be joining the ranks of lgt owners here soon.

You don't really want one of these in stock form. The stock tune is not the best. One that has been properly tuned will run for many years trouble free.

To replace the exhaust with stock mufflers in some cases would not be that hard and will not effect the tune.

That looks like it has a $1000 GS tmic.

The 6mt in a Spec B is a great improvement.

See if you can find out how long the car has been "tuned". Both my cars have been "tuned" since very early on.

Just so you know, if it needs a shortblock because there is a issue, that's a $2200 just fro the ej255 and gasket set. If the turbo goes and takes out the engine....

If you take the time, have the down pipe dropped so the turbo can be checked for shaft play and compression test done. the chassis is a nice ride.

At 145,000 miles, what shape are the shocks in ?

Just trying to give you things to think about.

Spec B's are pretty nice and rare.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here