LegacyGT.com

Words cannot describe the awesome - Vol 5

Flinkly

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If memory serves......99 was driven by Dan Gurney, 97 by Ken Miles and 98 by Dave MacDonald.....don't know where that pic was taken but I saw them all race and win at SIR (Kent Washington, just outside Seattle) back in the '60's

Awesome stuff!!

I had a chance to drive a 427 Cobra a few years ago.....It belonged to a friend who lent it to me for a long weekend with the advice...."Drive it like you stole it"

I did ;)

O4ktCtk.jpg

Edited by Scooby Fan

I had a chance to drive a 427 Cobra a few years ago.....

Very nice! Was it an original (very rare) or a replica? Lots of better-than-the-original Cobra replicas are out there these days.

I've been privileged to drive several very special cars over the years ... including a 1937 Cord 812SC roadster and a 1956 Ferrari Testa Rossa race car ... but never an original Cobra.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

330px-Mich%C3%A8le_Mouton_in_2011.jpgMichèle Mouton

Winner and record time setter of Pikes Peak in 1985

“It was my WRC car, the short wheelbase Group B Audi S1, but modified. We worked a lot on altitude and electrics. I had 600bhp – only 70bhp more than my WRC car, so no big deal..."

I was driving local and regional rallies back in that era and Michele was a huge role model for all of us.....We all wanted to "Drive like a girl" :cool:

Bloody fast and great looking.....what a combination!!

Very nice! Was it an original (very rare) or a replica? Lots of better-than-the-original Cobra replicas are out there these days.

I've been privileged to drive several very special cars over the years ... including a 1937 Cord 812SC roadster and a 1956 Ferrari Testa Rossa race car ... but never an original Cobra.

It was an original built in 1965.....When my friend got it, it was in pretty rough shape so he did a number of "Upgrades" on it to make it more usable. New and better brakes, a 5 speed transmission, new side pipes and a mostly new interior....complete cosmetic re-finish...paint etc. He kept all the original bits that were replaced and sold the car to a new owner who inherited the parts with it.

It was a true privilege to drive it....ridiculously fast, brutally uncomfortable for more than a short time behind the wheel. Crazy loud too.....I drove it through the city one day and set off every car alarm along the way.

The temperature in the foot wells felt like your feet were in a blast furnace and your legs were offset way left to avoid the engine tunnel so your left leg rubbed on a frame brace every time you used the clutch etc etc....BUT...OH WHAT FUN!!!

He said it had over 500 HP at the wheels and weight about 2100 pounds ...... I believe it too....on a twisty road you could throttle steer it and any time:cool:

The temperature in the foot wells felt like your feet were in a blast furnace ...

Very cool! Reminds me of the Jaguar XK120 I got to drive for one magical summer. Suffice to say that my (few) dates that summer were not impressed by the car, primarily due to the relentless heat billowing up out of the footwells. :)

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Is that mountain putting on a condom?

ACSL cloud (Alto Cumulus, Standing Lenticular) in meteorologist talk. Usually a reliable warning to pilots of likely severe turbulence downwind of the mountain.

spacer.png