LegacyGT.com

Help for Newbie with 1996 Legacy GT

downero

i have a 1996 subaru legacy gt. it only has 50,000kms reading. however "check engine" lights up. sometimes it lights up, sometimes it won't. should i be concerned? what do you think is the problem? also, i am looking for a bushing (right front wheel). thanks! -philippines

The check engine light could be from almost anything, including not putting on or tightening your gas cap. If it's something minor like that, the CE light should go out in a couple/few days.

Get the code read, or buy a code reader. I'm assuming you don't have Autozone, they do it for free.

Here's a guide to what some of the codes mean:

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/index.php

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

• 2 weeks later...
If there is a problem with your catalytic converter it might be that your 02 sensor is on the fritz or is loose, check that. It screws into the catalytic converter and can be blown by heavy flogging of the gas from a stand still, car feels like it almost stalls and there is no power (no matter what transmission)., Good luck and sick wagon, I wish I had got one instead of my sedan

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Catalytic converters do "wear out" eventually. Usually they are good for ~10 years. They can cause a CEL if they are out of spec. IIRC they have to last at least 75K miles or 5 years, or they have to be replaced by the manufacturer. Technically, you're not allowed to change the cat before then - if you wanted a high-flow cat.

Just had ours replaced, otherwise it wouldn't pass emissions. Also had the O2 sensors checked and they were fine. Runs a little smoother now, will see if MPG is any better.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

Archived