LegacyGT.com

Has anyone had any luck with aftermarket CVs?

Hey all, long time no see. I desperately need to replace front axles in my '05 wagon. Can't seem to find OEM anywhere for under 650...has anyone ever had luck with aftermarket? Just about everywhere I read I see horror story after horror story, as well as terrible reviews online.

I don't mind taking a chance and putting in an axle only to find it sucks and pulling it back out again as most parts stores have lifetime warranties. But I figured I'd at least get some feedback before I pull the trigger on one.

thanks all

I have Cardon HD axles up front with no issues for 10k miles so far. Manual transmission though. Automatics tend to vibrate with aftermarket axles. I’d rebuild your OEM ones, that’s the cheapest and most effective option.

I ordered them on rockauto and took a gamble. Figured if I run into issues I still have my OEM ones out and available to rebuild.

First choice is to rebuild your OEM's.

This thread will have some post about axles,

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/idea-web-links-saved-various-parts-219238.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Raxels and never turn back, They only build by hand and do Subaru axels specifc. No they do not have a fancy site, No you cannot order online, you call and talk to Marty and tell him what you need.

Cost me 420. That included shipping both ways, covered cores, and they sent me my axels and I sent them my stock ones back. Car is still driving and has about 180K miles. They were replaced at 160K miles. (Fronts).

But if you can get stocks rebuilt then do it. If your pockets are kind then get with Marty at Raxels. Read and then you will see. They truly Just do axels people.

https://www.raxles.com/

I haven't had much luck with aftermarket axles. CVJ Axles in Denver, Colorado rebuilds OEM axles, and they're phenomenal. I have been running them on my car for 2 years now. They're about $90 each shipped. You do need to ship them your old OEM core axles to keep the price at $90.

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. I will be trying the O'reilly axles to get me by for now and rebuild my OEs later to have as spares. I'll report back on if the axles work out.

Good luck. Hopefully you don’t have the acceleration vibration/wobble like every other aftermarket CV I’ve tried in the past.

I went against the advice of others (based purely out of the need to save money) and bought some NEW aftermarket axles from a parts store. They have held up fine for the 10-15k miles or so I've had them at this point. No vibrations or wobble or noise or anything negative to say as of yet. When I finally do a full build once my stock engine pops I doubt they'll hold up long to the added power, but I'm not stock either and honestly I'm pleasantly surprised.

Just stay away from rebuilds. Having personally worked for a company that specialized in Subaru parts (used to back then anywhow, now they only do euro cars) I can say I have never seen a reman axle that lasts longer than a few months. It seems like as long as you go new there is a chance. Obviously OE or better are the smartest choice, but in a pinch some aftermarket axles can get you buy for quite a while. Trust me, I'm not nice to mine, and they've survived just fine.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have any experience with Detroit Axle CV Axles? Link here

Pretty affordable and I've had a positive experience with their wheel bearings (15k on the front left hub and still going strong)

Also: I know some people have had good luck in the past with the AutoZone 7336 remanufactures, however looking at their site it seems like they are no longer available.

However, they do have new axles with the part number 7336N. Anyone have experience with the brand new version?

Thanks

Edited by dishwab

EMPI axles are not so great ime. I'd had one that was bad right out of the box before. Sounds like you have gotten pretty lucky Edited by RecklessWOT
Initial post was slamming EMPI. I had two brands of axles mixed up. They're not AS bad as DSS axles....